Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fishing Deadbeat
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for another exciting episode of name that fish!
Went up to EF with the ultralight after work to try and land a few white bass.. only managed one and a 10 inch smallie.. but... I caught something else that I need some opinions on. I'm scratching my head about this one.
The body shape, head, and the way it fought tells me it was a smallmouth.... but the body markings look like a spotted bass.
Either way, smallmouth, spot, hybrid, or frankstein's monster, it was still a fun fight on the ultralight. Here are a few pics for you to weigh in on... including a close up. Like to hear what the bass guys think... where's Lou at??!

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Naturally occuring hybrid perhaps? I have no idea...

·
I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN
566 Posts
it is a cross between a smallie and a spot. also called a meanmouth bass. i caught one last year and didnt know what it was but i had it identified for sure a "meanmouth". they put up a good fight. nice fish by the way. i fish down at the spillway often. it can be a good hole:)

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
I'm with mcgoo on this one. That is one crazy looking fish that's for sure!!! Nice catch Jay!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
whichever it is, it's a pretty nice fish.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I am certainly no expert but I am going to say a spotted bass. If you happened to feel the surface of the tongue the small teeth would have been the best way to know for sure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
everything i've found on the net makes think spot. it lacks too many smallmouth traits to be a meanmouth. the meanmouth photos all look more like smallmouth. what's the difference with the tooth patches? i haven't paid much attention to them before.

·
Fishing Deadbeat
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was kicking myself 5 minutes after I let him go for not checking the patch. He was hooked all up and down so after messing with that I was more concerned with getting a pic and getting him back in the water ASAP, patch check didn't occur to me at the time.
Definitely was not a largemouth.

·
Shebasser
280 Posts
I haven't seen many of those since moving here from GA back in the 80's. I've caught exactly one in all those years--and this picture is only the second one I've seen. Of course in the south we have our own strange nicknames for all kinds of fish--but I've never heard that fish called anything but a WARMOUTH. It's a big one too. They are so fun to catch, they fight like they weigh three times what they do. If it is this same species (whatever a warmouth is), they are also delicious eating. I've heard other people (here)call them rock bass. But I've found that many fish I called a particular name back in Georgia ISN'T what I called it, so don't mind me...I just kiss them and put them back with my thanks and sincere apologies...:D

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I haven't seen many of those since moving here from GA back in the 80's. I've caught exactly one in all those years--and this picture is only the second one I've seen. Of course in the south we have our own strange nicknames for all kinds of fish--but I've never heard that fish called anything but a WARMOUTH. It's a big one too. They are so fun to catch, they fight like they weigh three times what they do. If it is this same species (whatever a warmouth is), they are also delicious eating. I've heard other people (here)call them rock bass. But I've found that many fish I called a particular name back in Georgia ISN'T what I called it, so don't mind me...I just kiss them and put them back with my thanks and sincere apologies...:D
There are warmouth all around Ohio as well, and they're also called rockbass by many people. That fish however, is not a warmouth.

·
Fishing Deadbeat
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a Warmouth or Rock Bass, but I love to catch those little dudes on my ultra. Seems we're leaning Spot.... I'll take it, never seen one with those kind of qualities but then I rarely bass fish.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
It has the body/shape/mouth of a Smallmouth with the color patterns of a Spotted. As to what it actually is, when does the DNA sample results get back from the lab TeamPlaker? :D

Great looking fish. Im glad you got a pic of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts