Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing on the Scioto, downstream from the Greenlawn dam about a month ago. I was targetting channel cats, and had a rod set up for bottom rig with chicken liver on a size # 1 J hook. I was fishing in the a cove kind of, and something kept messing with my bait. It wasnt the vigorous pull of a catfish. It was light and gently pull. I had the drag set on lowest, so something will pull the line about a foot or so out and then stop, and then same thing will happen in about 4-5 minutes or so. This happened like 10-12 times while I was fishing. It was very annoying as I would get super excited each time, and then pull the line and the bait would either be gone, or partly eaten, with no fish off course. I am wondering if someone can help me ID what that might be? Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had a school of 4" channel cat do that. Rarely ever hook them and every other fish in the area was gone. At least could not catch anything else there for that week. Figured all the razors flying around in the water scared everything off

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd say turtle or small channel cat. Try a smaller hook and glob of liver and I wouldn't be surprised if you caught a little channel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts