Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish Id help...

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by creekwalker, Nov 13, 2004.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

Went fishing today for sauger and lucked into some nice white bass :D

Anyway, one guy in our boat caught something that I was not familiar with. After some searching the web and
    , I didn't turn up much, but I think it was a skipjack. I thought it looked herring like when he pulled it to the boat.

Yeah, unfortunately it didn't make it into the boat so I could get a look at it. The only fish he had all day and he bounced it off the side and back into the water :p The quick glimpse I had was a purplish top and silver bottom and a herring like body and portruding jaw - fish was about 12-14" long. While searching, I found that skipjack are a kind of herring? He caught this on a white curly tail grub.

Does anyone have a picture of a skipjack or a link to one and information on their size and how to fish for them?

If it was a skipjack, I am surpised that it is not listed on the ODNR link above.

2. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

SkipJack Herring..

3. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

That was it. I figured it was a skipjack, but I did not expect them to be that big since people use them for bait! Big bait = big fish I guess :)

Thanks for the pics.
  4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I knew Mr. Fish posted this without even looking at who posted it, via the foot :D