Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to bags of fish pellets I would like to start using in 3/4 acre pond. The pond has bluegill, bass, perch and crappie. My questions would be do the fish need to be trained to start feeding on the pellets?
I threw a handful in and they floated but the fish did not feed on them. I know in spring and summer the bluegill and bass seem to hang out closer to banks and are often easily visible...in the fall not so much.
Should I wait until spring and summer or can I start now...I know fish like to put the feed bags on in the fall to prepare for winter so I thought I would try and start now.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
At this point, I’d wait until spring. It takes awhile to train them. Feeding will slow way down pretty soon due to falling water temps. Buy a high protein food with fish meal or fish oil. Bluegills will eat any food. Bass generally only eat the high protein food that has fish based ingredients. Perch will feed on pellets as well. Crappie don’t generally take to pellets.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You can mix in some ground shrimp or get you a jar of frozen brine shrimp cubes or blood worms and mix a few in with the pellets and it will help them train, but when water temps get below 60 wait til spring

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm going to start feeding pretty soon. I thought about stopping at the feed store yesterday to get some Aquamax, but I didn't make it. On the warm sunny days the fish are getting pretty active. I just put in 40 more Wipers last weekend.
Dang that aquamax is expensive. Amazon was out of the stuff I have been using so got a bag of aquamax. Ouch!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.