close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Hey Akronites, I am in need of some fish fins for some taxidermy work on a walleye that I am doing. I have been collecting fins from fish that I decide to keep for a little while now. What I am looking for are a set of fins from a walleye. Basically if you get a 25" walleye or larger, and bring it home to eat, and you would be willing to cut off the fins, I would be willing to swing over and pick them up. I want to try mounting this walleye that I have with replacement fins from another live walleye, rather than fins that I can buy from a catalog that are not real.

PM me if you can help me out. I don't head to Erie much, and don't have the opportunity to get that size of walleye where I fish.

thanks,

flash-------------------------------out

2. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, or if it would even serve your purpose, but could you cast the original fins? I wasn't sure if the originals were damaged or if you were just wanting to try something new. Do you prefer real fins or did you have a bad experience with artificials? I understand that most of the fins from the big supply houses leave A LOT to be desired, as with many other fish supplies (heads, replicas, etc.). If you ever do try artificial fins, I hear Dennis Arp has the best ones available, hands down. Again, this may not help you now, but I though I'd throw it out there for future projects.

3. KSUFLASH

original fins on the fish I am working on are not worthy of being casted, they need replaced. So I figured I would try to replace them with real ones from another fish. I haven't gotten into the casting of fins, heads, etc....

flash---------------------------------out

4. Do you have a subscription to Breakthrough? They've had some geat articles lately on casting fish. It actually didn't seem as difficult as I was thinking it would be. I'm still no fish guy, but I do a lot of research and reading so I'm prepared when I finally get the time.

5. KSUFLASH

I only have the order catalogs for the various providers of taxidermy stuff. I don't have any magazine subscriptions. I would cast these fins, but unfortunatley, they are too bad to actually cast. Basically the freezer burn has burnt everything off of the fins completely.

I might have to look into some magazine subscriptions.

flash-------------------------out

6. Serioulsy consider a subscription to Breakthrough. I was hesitant at first because of the price, but it's worth so much more. I'm always counting down the days til my next issue. Taxidermy Today is good also, but if you only pick one, get Breakthrough. Hopefully someone can get some fins for you.

7. Ben,when I Go To Erie This Week I Will Save Ya 1...

8. KSUFLASH

thanks Argee...

flash--------------------out