close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish finder suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by M.Magis, May 11, 2004.

1. Well, after less than 2 years, my Garmin 160 decided to give up on me. Rather than pay the $80 every time something is wrong, I think I've decided to just get a new unit. I don't need anything special, but I do want something decent. I really like the Lowrance x125, though it's probably a bit more than I need. Can someone explain the 60° Skimmer transducer to me? I spend a lot of time in shallow water and it's easy to miss targets with the standard 20° cone, but I'm not sure I understand how it works. The Eagle Fishmark 480 and the Bottom Line 480 both look great for the price, but I just haven't heard a lot about them. Lowrance seems to have the better reputation, though I'm sure either would suit me fine. Quality is my first priority, but at the same time I really can't justify a huge amount of money. Does anybody have any insight that might help me make my decision? Thanks.

2. I had the Eagle FishElite 480 that I bought earlier this year. The power button just seemed odd to me and you kinda had to push it just right for the unit to power on. If you didn't do it just right, the unit would not power up until you unplugged the power from the unit and plugged it back in. Never made any sense to me. After I got it installed in the boad and mastered the power buttion trick, it went out all toghther. Everyone I've talked to has had nothing but positive things to say about the Eagle units, so maybe I just got a bad one. Right after I bought the eagle, I had some buyers remorse wishing I had gotten the lowrance instead. So when I returned the Eagle I paid the difference and got the Lowrance LMS480 instead. So far it seems to work well and in the few outings I've had with the unit, I'd say I'm pleased with it. I like the screen alot better than the Garmin 160 I replaced and the Lowrance puts out alot more power to the transducer than either my old Garmin or the Eagle. The one downside I've seen so far with the Lowrance vs the Eagle is the backlight. The lowrance has a white backlight and the Eagle is orange. The Eagle was alot easier to see in direct sunlight than the Lowrance. However, if you play with the screen contrast on the Lowrance, it is visable in direct sunlight as well. You can download fully functioning demos of bot units at www.eaglesonar.com and lowrance.com. I hear good things about the Garmin units as well so you may want to look at them too.

3. Thanks for the info. Honestly, it's hard to pass up the Garmin 240 for the price they have it these days, but I guess this one's got me a little gun shy about another. I'm sure it was just a fluke, but I'm leaning towards the Lowrance, I think.

4. Garmin 160 i have one also and looking to sale it and go with a Lowrance cought to many fish where it says there are none on the bottem