close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish finder question

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Wormdunker69, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Why does the screen on my fish finder turn black when fishing in the bright sun? Does anyone have a cure for this? Appreciate any help you can offer, thanks. Bill

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

You can get a sun shield to prevent that. All it is, is a smoke glass cover that blocks the sun. Most all LCR's do that in the bright sun.

3. It's a fairly common problem. I dunk a towel in the water, wring it out and then use it to cover the display for a couple minutes to cool it down.

It hasn't happened on my color lowrance units this year so maybe they fixed it.

4. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

I have had both Eagle and Hummingbird graphs do that just before they went belly up. They were both only 5 yrs old. Lower end priced units. I attributed it to you get what you pay for. Just my thoughts on this one. I,m sure some people have old units still functioning fine. LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  5. DaleM, ezmarc & LakeRaider, I appreciate you replies to my problem. Unit is an older Ratheon and they are not in business any longer, RayMarine bought them out. Thanks again. Bill