close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fish finder problems again...help!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by freyedknot, May 23, 2005.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

last year my eagle 320 quit markig fish , even in good perch water areas. sent it back to cabelas and got my money back. so then i put my eagle 160 back on the boat. now this year it will track bottom only to 30 ft of water and then quit marking the bottom. the sensitivity drops down to 48% and somtimes the depth reading show 200 or 300 ft of water. isolated the fishfinder by putting it on the other side of the boat and hooked it up to it's own 12 v. battery .still the same readings . ??? i hate to fish if i dont see fish.

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Have you checked the angle of the transducer in relation to the transom of the boat? It needs to be on the same angle, and if it isn't tight, it'll flip up on you during your run to the fishing grounds. How fast are you running when trying to take a reading?

3. freyedknot

i am at a trolling speed. it is level w/ the boat bottom and in the water. bolted in the same transom spot as in the past 4 years. i even tried moving it up 1 nclick and down 1 click w/ no better results.

4. clean all electical contact points , with 90%isiporply alcohol . check for corrsion , mainly power supply.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Set the sensitivity manually , there's an option in the menu to raise or lower it. I have to run mine way up near 100%. I think it just depends upon each person's boat, locator, water clarity, etc. That's where I'd start, raise it until you start to see a little grain. Also you may have to reduce or turn off the "noise" reducers, like interference and surface clutter. I had to turn mine off to get good arches.

6. freyedknot

all connections are clean and have dieelectric grease on them to protect from corroison. sensativety is at max, greyline i run at 16%. ran it sunday off it's own separate battery to eliminate any noise.and mounted it on the other side of the boat away from all other wires. still broke. baught a new eagle 480 at gander for $199.00.