close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish finder help

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Ducknut, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

I am looking for a sturdy no-nonsense fish finder. I am not that much of a fisherman, so I dont need or want anything fancy. I would like to keep it under 200$. I want just the basics - Depth, bottom structure, fish, speed and water temp.

Any suggestions?

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Please do not cross post the same topic in several forums. I have deleted the other references to this same topic.

Thanks.

3. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Garmin 240 you can grab w/temp for under 200. I love mine.

4. When I was a Gander Mountain the other day I saw they had the Eagle Fishmark 320 for sale under the $200.00 mark. I think it was like $160 or $170. These units have a 320x320 screen which is good screen resolution. I had the 480, which had a 480x480 screen that I felt rocked compared to my old Garmin 160. Now I have a Lowrance 480x480 unit. Thing about the Lowrance I don't like is that the white backlight on the screen makes it harder to see in the daylight unless you play around with the screen contrast. The eagle was a yellow/orange back light that was much easier to see in direct sunlight. On the downside, they don't come with the speed sensor included you mentioned, but can be purchased as an option as can an additional temp sensor I believe. They may be worth a look for their price and you can download full featured demos of their products from www.eaglesonar.com. Another decent brand to look at might be Garmin. Can't speak for Humminbird as I've never owned one or knew anyone that has.

Barry

5. hawk181dc

hawk181dc Diehard

Take a look at the new Bottomline units. They are available on line at Cabela's.com. or Bottomlinefishfinders.com. They are marketing a new line of products with very low prices for what you get. I have had very good communication and help from their customer service dept. for older models. This company also makes Cannon Downriggers-the best you can buy in downriggers. I have a 4100 and a 5300GPS unit on my boat-I would not go back to Lowrance(Eagle is Lowrance-Lowrance is Eagle etc) Nobody has been able to explain the difference between the two other than the Eagles use similar quality materials in most units but, what does that mean?????
    Good Luck on your decision!!!!!
    Fishin On,
    Hawk