Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any advice for a good/affordable fish finder for a kayak ? If so any mounting tips? I don't want to go crazy drilling holes and tapping into the plastic. I've seen some suction cup style finders but not sure how they would hold up if they get bumped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been trying to decide on one for over a week now.

After much reading and store hopping I think I'm going with the Humminbird 175
or the Garmin 150 (if i can find one locally)
I love the small round base of the garmin but the quick release base on the humminbirds.
Lowrance has a small one as well which i hear very nice. All of these are under $100...

I don't want anything too large and power hungry and i think I'm going to go for the
inside hull mount using silicone and a rubber or foam gasket.
(there a a few videos on youtube that show some successful methods)
If you have scupper holes there's an easy mod using a pvc pipe and cap
that involves no drilling, I just don't want the cable mess up top.

Do you have any rudder mounts on the rear of your yak?

I'll decide for sure tomorrow so i can get this bugger installed and tested
before the open coming up. I'll update you if you wish.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have to say the HB PMax is the best thing going for budget FF but I absolutely like my 386 DSI tho a bit pricy but worth every pretty penny. I got a budget Lowrance 5x but after 2weeks using it I needed more details in bottom structures. I also mounted my transducer inside where it stays protected nestled in a foam block bonded and all I need to do is add a lil water to give me great readings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to say the HB PMax is the best thing going for budget FF but I absolutely like my 386 DSI tho a bit pricy but worth every pretty penny. I got a budget Lowrance 5x but after 2weeks using it I needed more details in bottom structures. I also mounted my transducer inside where it stays protected nestled in a foam block bonded and all I need to do is add a lil water to give me great readings.
You like the HB better than the garmin too ehh?
Do you get good side imaging from an in hull mount from that dsi? Wow
How's the water temp readings in that wet well method your using?

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You like the HB better than the garmin too ehh?
Do you get good side imaging from an in hull mount from that dsi? Wow
How's the water temp readings in that wet well method your using?

Thanks for the advice
The Garmin IMO looks outdated and something from the 80's. The thing you want to remember is if you have a problem and want to talk to customer services is what HB has overall.

Get excellent down imaging thru hull. Temperature reading is within 1.5 degrees. I have a waterproof infrared temp tester (RadioShack @$25) to check and see if off but its close enough and better than Fords.

Other alternative is transducer arm but its PIA as you have to worry about breaking and all the wires exposed and cluttered on the deck which shouldn't be the case.

I will get some pictures up when I find time this week.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have to say the HB PMax is the best thing going for budget FF but I absolutely like my 386 DSI tho a bit pricy but worth every pretty penny.
I have the hummingbird 346 dsi.....great fish finder and is not a power hog. Heres a shot of the down imaging side by side with normal sonar. Pretty nice feature. Id go with one similar if you can afford it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any rubber in the bottom. I to also plan on doing the inside the hill mount . But it has me wondering if it will effect the Efficiency of the fish finder. All I have read everyone says they haven't had problems so IDE assume they wouldn't lie. The other issue I have it's were to mount the monitor ?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I couldnt shoot through hull with my transducer. I tried epoxy and electricians putty. I have the ram arm mount that goes over the side. ....but it creates drag and too much distrubance/ noise. I will be switching to a scupper mount soon.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldnt shoot through hull with my transducer. I tried epoxy and electricians putty. I have the ram arm mount that goes over the side. ....but it creates drag and too much distrubance/ noise. I will be switching to a scupper mount soon.

Hope that helps.

The scupper mount will shoot threw with out disturbance or will you have to drill and mount it ? Te few I say that they had to drill there was no way to remove it so I would have to think it is going to get abused when loading / unloading and dropping in ext.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have the hummingbird 346 dsi.....great fish finder and is not a power hog. Heres a shot of the down imaging side by side with normal sonar. Pretty nice feature. Id go with one similar if you can afford it.

Was gonna mention this model to but didn,t and is possibly the best thing around to. I don't use the GPS to much as I thought I would but when I head to Fla this winter I will. The mud flats can get your bearings totally screwed up especially when you paddle before daylight.

Erie is another good reason to when you do happen to locate fish for later references.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Here is a picture of my transducer mounted inside. Its not the best but will get updated pictures this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This is a better picture where my transducer is mounted. Marine grade silicone on bottom. Zip tie is to keep transducer from bouncing out. You don't need much water to get it to read.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome I think I'm going to invest in on for sure. Now that I know it will work without problems, I think it's worth the time and money !

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Awesome I think I'm going to invest in on for sure. Now that I know it will work without problems, I think it's worth the time and money !
Glad to be helpful!

The foam blocks I got from kids toy section.:)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The foam blocks are just to keep it in place and help protect the trans. ?
Yes that is correct.
I tried goop once on another unit I had on my Tarpon 140 and it gave me a unreliable readings. That was after the mounting kit for that unit(PMax 175)
failed in hot weather last year and the grease melted inside and made a mess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I'm worried about . Going threw everything to install and then having it be unreliable or not read at all ( would be a bummer)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yea that would be a pain alright. If you having doubt then the thing I recommend is try it before drilling holes and etc. Everyone going to have their own preferences to how they are going to use it so but heck I hate cluttered decks tho. Nothing worse to have things in the way to tangle.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a Lowrance Elite 4X with the Lowrance Transducer scupper mount on my Ride 115. It a good All around color fish finder. Unlink similar model hummingbirds its got an Amplitude scope for real time info, which you need for vertical jigging, also its great for ice fishing in the winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Lowrance Elite 4X with the Lowrance Transducer scupper mount on my Ride 115. It a good All around color fish finder. Unlink similar model hummingbirds its got an Amplitude scope for real time info, which you need for vertical jigging, also its great for ice fishing in the winter.
You will have to excuse me if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by real time info ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts