close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish Consumption Advisory Essay...

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TIGHTLINER, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Ohio Fish Consumption Advisory
    (Trumbull County)

Each Year in conjunction with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) publishes a fish consumption advisory list. The reasons that these lists are published is because studies have found that low levels of mercury and PCBs have been found in fish. The contaminants are mainly found in the skin of the fish and the fatty areas around the belly and back. There is a statewide advisory in effect, which recommends that no more than one meal of fish should be consumed per week by a single person. This is particularly important to women who are either pregnant or of child bearing age and children under the age of six who are more susceptible to the effects of mercury contaminants. Aside from the one meal per week advisory there is three other additional advisories. Which are Do Not Eat more than one meal per month, Do Not Eat more than one meal per two months, and Do Not Eat any fish from this body of water. I chose to pay particular attention to the advisory for Trumbull County. Trumbull County has two bodies of water on the list and eight different species of fish on it. These are the Grand River and The Mahoning River. The species listed at one meal per month from the Grand River from Lake Estabrook (Parkman) to Tote Street (Austinburg) are Common Carp 22" and over, Freshwater Drum, Largemouth Bass, Silver Redhorse, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye, and Yellow Bullhead. With PCBs being the main contaminant in Carp and mercury being the main contaminant in the others. The species listed at one meal per month for the Mahoning River are Smallmouth Bass from the Berlin Dam to NW Bridge Road in Warren. Both mercury and PCBs have been found in these fish. From NW Bridge Road in Warren to the Pennsylvania state line Channel Catfish and Common Carp are listed on the Do Not Eat advisory because of high levels of PCBs. Walleye from there are listed as one meal per month due to mercury contaminants and the Smallmouth Bass is also listed as one meal per month from there due to both mercury and PCB contaminants. To put this into a better perspective when comparing these to bodies of water to Lake Erie. Lake Erie has twelve species of fish listed on its advisory all due to PCB contaminants. There is one species on the Do Not Eat List, two species on the one meal per two months list, and nine species on the one meal per month list. Throughout the entire state the fish that appears the most on the advisory is the Common Carp. Which appears on the list a whopping fifty-five times. There is a total of twenty-six fish species listed on the advisory. There is also seventy-seven bodies of water listed on the advisory. One good thing to know is that Mosquito Creek Reservoir which is just right up the road is not on the list at all meaning that it is fairly contaminant free. In conclusion I hope that this information brings some light in the murky waters to show how us humans are ruining the wildlife from pollution and are making it unsuitable for human consumption.

OEPA/ODNR Fish Consumption Advisory (Trumbull County)

Body of Water Area Under Advisory Species One Meal Per Contaminant
    Grand River Lake Estabrook (Parkman) to Tote Street (Austinburg)
    Common Carp 22” and over
    Month
    PCBs

Freshwater Drum,
    Largemouth Bass,
    Silver Redhorse,
    Smallmouth Bass,
    Walleye,
    Yellow Bullhead
    Month
    Mercury

Mahoning River Berlin Dam to NW Bridge Road (Warren)
    Smallmouth Bass
    Month
    Mercury, PCBs

NW Bridge Road (Warren) to Pennsylvania State Line Channel Catfish,
    Common Carp
    Do Not Eat PCBs
    Walleye Month PCBs
    Smallmouth Bass Month Mercury, PCBs

Summary:
    Mercury/PCB Contaminants found mostly in the skin and fatty tissues around the belly/back of fish
    Statewide Advisory: One Meal Per Week
    Other Advisories: One Meal Per Month, One Meal Per 2 Months, DO NOT EAT
    Highest Risk: Pregnant Women and/or women of child bearing age and children under age 6
    Trumbull County: 2 Bodies of Water, 8 Fish Species
    Lake Erie: 8 Counties, 12 Fish Species
    Statewide: 77 Bodies of Water, 26 Fish Species
    Most Contaminated Fish Species: Common Carp (55 occurrences)
    Second Most Contaminated Fish Species: Channel Catfish (36 occurrences)
    Mosquito Creek Reservoir Not Listed

Works Cited: OEPA/ODNR
    http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fishadvisory/limitmeals.html

2. Tightliner I am in total agreement. I don't remember what the advisory was last year, but I think the warning this year is more broad. Especially the general statement about one meal per week. Unfortunately most people have lost their connection with the environment. I think that caring for the environment means sacrificing other things that we feel are important and lots aren't ready to sacrifice. :(

I am conscious of the problems, but have changed my behavior only modestly. :eek:

Every little bit helps.

3. Dang Tightliner....that's some mighty fine work. Nice job and thanks for the info.