Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat is taking a toll on water quality at Caesar Creek. According to the link here about CC conditions, there is very little oxygen below about 13 feet. My wife asked a park officer about the dead fish in the lake, and was told the high water temp had caused it. I have seen this before at CC, even worse. Like the last big kill I saw, almost all of the fish are small drum or gizzard shad. The first pic is today, 7-28-11, and the second is from 2008 (which was all small drum).

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Even sadder is that it will continue to get worse. Sadder still is that sportsmen who see what is happening with their own eyes will likely criticize me for saying that. :(

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
I was out there last night and 99.9% of the dead fish we saw were the same year class drum. Thousands are dead and the lake stinks right now. At least no other species are dying and none of the bigger drum. Seems to only be affecting one year class of one species in one cove of the lake. The only dead fish we saw were in Wellman's cove to the dam.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was out there last night and 99.9% of the dead fish we saw were the same year class drum. Thousands are dead and the lake stinks right now. At least no other species are dying and none of the bigger drum. Seems to only be affecting one year class of one species in one cove of the lake. The only dead fish we saw were in Wellman's cove to the dam.
Exactly right Bp1, and also exactly what happened in 2008. Makes you wonder what is special about that year class of drum that only they are susceptible to this. Walleyejigger is right, too. Must have just been too many of them. He knows what He is doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts