Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
little fisherman
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall will be my first year archery hunting and I have a few questions. First off what do u guys look for when picking a place to hunt pre-rut? Food, scraplines ect.. And what are your strategies for hunting the pre-rut do u grunt or use a doe bleat at all? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Food an trails running to an from. If you know where they are bedding, set up closer to that. Dont go in there bedroom just wait outside,try an catch them getting up for the day or comming home.Not saying thats the right way, but its my pre-rut strategy. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Like everyone has stated. Find the food source and the trails leading in and out of this area. Make sure of the winds normal pattern around this area. Have different stands for changes in wind direction or places for a stand. Keep your activity in these areas minimal before season. Just keep in mind that as the season and weather changes so goes the deer. What could be high in activity now may not be the same in a few weeks. They could be hammering acorns one week then back in the fields the next. Just plan to be able to make changes in your hunting preferences just as the deer do.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would not mess around with the calls this early. Some may say they have success with calls, but I think right place, right time is 90% of deer hunting.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Alright Nick, have you ever hunted white tails before, I mean gun season so you might know your woods? Are you only hunting per-rut on, from the third week of Oct. or are you starting opening day 9/24? The input already posted is all good. Look for the rubs and scrapes but don't camp out over them. Their food changes as does the season. If you are going out opening day look for white oaks, it's candy to them, not red oaks. Also apples are a good food source. If you are going out the 3rd week of Oct on, pre-rut, they are after corn, any greenery, brair leaves all year, bait piles or feeders. During rut hunt for the does, the bucks are chasing and will be following them. So at that time if you see a doe LET HER ALONE to do what ever she wants, a buck may be in the area as well after her. go luck to ya.

·
d{>_
519 Posts
early season does can be brought in with a fawn in distress call. they will come to the call to try and protect the fawn

·
Registered
542 Posts
Like Header said "white oaks". If you don't know the difference;
White oak leaves have round points (white man, round ball).
Red oak leaves, pointed (Red man, arrow).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts