Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Billy here. Just moved to the buckeye state from southwest fl A little background: I fished my whole life in the 10k islands for redfish,snook,tarpon etc and also did some bass fishing in lake okeechobee and surrounding areas. Fishing was not just a hobby but a passion.moving here for work was tough because of that and after a few weeks of reading posts and seeing pictures and passing rivers/lakes I decided I had to catch some fish!! I left work yesterday and stopped by dick's and grabbed some small tubes, 1/16th oz jig heads and a small spinner bait. Stopped off at a spot by the olentangy and started hopping on rocks down to a little spill over with some deep water and ended up getting some hits!

This guy ate a tube, I'm not sure if its a small mouth or spotted bass(both of which aren't in south west fl) so please let me know what you think

And I'm pretty sure he is a rock bass that hammered the spinner bait

Ill be learning new spots tricks etc before I get too cold haha....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Looks like a smallie to me. Welcome to ohio and the columbus area. Some really nice fishing to be had although I bet it is tough leaving saltwater!!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You will just have to hook into some hybrids. Those things remind me of a saltwater fight!!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Not wearing shoes? Really? LOL! I have not caught a striper yet, but I have heard they put up a mean ass fight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello FLRedfish. I moved to ohio in 1990. Im originally from tallahassee fl. I use to fish for bass around the area and saltwater fish the gulf around Panacea area. .Like you I moved here for work. Ohio has some good fishing. Stream fishing for smallmouths is now my passion. It seems like I can't get enough of it. They have lg bass,musky,pike,walleye etc... Good luck and enjoy what Ohio has to offer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome to Ohio. Columbus is a nice area, great choice in moving there. It's a very cool city, with great fishing. Great fish by the way. Bet it's gonna take a little bit of time getting adjusted to the weather here. Snowfall isn't bad around Columbus by Ohio standards, but if you get up around Akron (my hometown), Cleveland, and Toledo, there is literally double the snowfall because of Lake Erie. Hope you enjoy it here in the Buckeye State. By the way, PM me if you want some info on Steelhead Trout. They're a fish up here that can rival the fight of any ocean fish.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Great way to introduce yourself! I've ben here a little over 6 years now. Still homesick, but all in all its a peaceful place full of great people. I have learned an awful lot about local waters and met some pretty cool people on this site. I live up by Alum and as long as it is not little league football season I'de like to say I fish quite a bit. Shoot me a pm and I will be glad to share what little bit I know of the local waters around here. All of which I have learned from the site directly or the people I have met on it.

Sent from my MB855 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind replies! If anyone wants to get together one evening during the week or on a weekend shoot me a pm

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd be interested in hitting the tangy one night with you. I haven't had much luck on my stretch of the tangy that I've been fishing. But hey I'm still learning this bass thing :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Just practicing my cast
4,709 Posts
Welcome to ohio and ogf, Next thing you know you will be a buckeye fan;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to ohio and ogf, Next thing you know you will be a buckeye fan;)
Haha, both sides of my family are from Columbus, I left the hospital in Naples fl with a buckeye blanket wrapped around me. Been a bucks fan my whole life. Love it up here though, I have been at every home game, or on campus for the away games.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i lived in bonita springs for 6yrs, so i can completely relate to the awesome fishing down there. but something about those river smallies is just so fun. im in the clearwater area now, but im struggling to find good backwater spots without a boat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts