close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time steelie fishing

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by bigfishtommy, Sep 29, 2005.

1. I am going steelhead fishing on saturday. Can anyone help me out as far as preferred baits to catch them with? Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe (stcroixjoe)

How are you going to fish for them? River or the lake? In the river I would use either a jig tipped with maggot's or spawn sacks.The lake same as walleye.

3. This http://www.steelheading101.com/ is by far the best resource I've found for steelhead fishing. We had a lot of luck last year with jig and maggot. Darker color Marabou jigs on cloudy days or during dusk/dawn and lighter colors when sunny.

Good luck,
    Goby One Gnoby

4. I have read where a 3'-4' fluorocarbon leader is recommended attached to barrel swivel on main line. Is there a need for this? If so, what is the reason for ANY leader? Thanks.

5. I think you answered your own question. It is recommended. You can definitely catch fish without it, but somedays, especially when the water is low and clear, it probably helps. If you taper the pound test of your lines, you can restrict breakoffs to your leader material.

Joel

6. Thanks, Joel! I appreciate the help very much!

Tom

7. JV1

JV1

spoons son .... little cleo's .... K.O. Wobbler's etc etc...

8. Tommy,
    If you are using spoons, you don't need a leader. I was talking about using a float (bobber).

Joel

9. A good rule to follow is to use the heaviest line as conditions allow. With the general availability of no loner expensive flurocarbon lines (to use as a leader), there really isn't any reason to go below 6lb test in a spinning or drifting outfit. Anything lower (4lb or less) increases the possibility of having a steelhead that you can't revive due to an excessively long fight.

In water that is stained to muddy, I'll use an 8 lb test mainline without a leader. As the water clears (as well as lakefront fishing), I will go down to 6lb test. During low-water times with very clear water, I will attach a 6' to 8' floro leader of 6lb test. I directly tie them with a surgeons knot or double uni-knot/trilene knot since the hardware (like a swivel) normally interferes with the drift.

I tried to use a floro mainline a few times, but it didn't seem to work since the line seems to sink faster than mono when drifting. Similar issues with braided lines.