Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went to the "try fly fishing" class at cox arboretum today to finally put all the fly fishing gear i got for christmas to good use. im glad i had my own gear because there were so many people that they had to rotate the loaner equipment. anyway, i got a private lesson on casting because i had all the stuff but didnt know how to put it together, so they paired me up with a guy to show me the ropes so to speak. I was with my dad and it took us about an hour to get comfortable with the casting but once we did we hit the water. i started off throwing a floating elk hair what-cha-ma-call-it. after a lot of casting and no fish to show for it, i spotted one of the massing carp that live in the ponds at cox. i dont know how many of you have seen these things but they are MASSIVE. i started trying to cast to specific spots right in front of the carp and within a few minutes i was landing 3 of 5 casts within six inches of where i wanted to be. after a few well placed casts, WHAM! one of the carp slammed the fly! unfortunately the fight only lasted a few seconds because the fly came untied. oh well. i let my dad try with a new elk hair thingy. he tried for a while but eventually lost the fly to a branch in the water. since that was the last of the elk hair i decided to try a sinking black fly thing. once i used that i really started hammering the bluegill. i think i ended up with about 10 or so. the highlight was when i was bringing in one of the bluegill, a nice size white catfish came up and swallowed it! after a few seconds it realized that i had bitten off more than it could chew, and regurgitated the fish. still, it was pretty cool. all in all it was a great time! im glad the metroparks set up such a helpful seminar, it sure helped me. im heading to my local creek tomorrow to try my skills on some moving water!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
actually the crappies in the main pond( upper pond) are huge, I helped teach that class for several year way back in the day and every class some kid or wife would pull a honest 16" crappie out, just floored me!!! also some very nice bass if you can get them to eat.

Also the Elk Hair Caddis is a great surface fly for many varieties of fish. Never leave home without a few.

Salmonid

·
Im Old Gregg!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you fish those ponds just anytime or does it have to be part of a special event?
it has to be part of a special event. if those ponds were open to public fishing it would be swamped! have you seen the size of the fish there? haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts