First time boater...

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by CDL, Jul 28, 2008.

1. CDL

CDL

My father-in-law is going to let me borrow his boat for a few weeks. Only problem is...I've never prepped, launched, or loaded a boat. I just got back into fishing a couple of months ago and I've been stuck on the shore. The boat isn't huge, maybe 14-15 ft. Aluminum. Anybody have any tips for a newbie and/or suggestions of an uncrowded lake in the Columbus Area to practice?

2. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

3. CDL

CDL

Thanks. I had read through that already. Lots of good info. I was just wondering if there was anything else, especially uncrowded/unpopular spots I can use to launch/load.

4. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

During the day (before 5pm) I have NEVER had to wait for a ramp at Oshaughnessy Reservoir. The ramps are very nice, the docks are nice, and the ramps are not too steep. If its a 9.9hp motor or under, Hoover Reservoir might be a good place for you to go too.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about the North end ramp at Oshay, but if the water level is right you might be able to launch there. I can't do it since I've got an 18' bass boat, but with a smaller aluminum you'd probably be alright.

Really, nowhere will be busy during a weekday. There will be a slight rush around 5-6pm and again at dark to get in.

5. one thing your in law will remenber take it back better than you took IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. CDL

CDL

What about Saturday mornings? I was thinking about hittin up Oshaughnessy this weekend or next.

7. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

If you have never backed a boat or a trailer before it would probably do you good to practice in a large parking lot before heading out to the lake. If you are experienced, please disregard this and GOOD LUCK!!!

8. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

Since you are newbie remember the following before backing the boat in the water or you will have a bad outing:

-Make sure you remember to unplug the cord for the lights.
    -Release the back strap.
    -Make sure the drain plug is in (This is the big one unless you like underwater
    boating).

It would be good for you if you also have someone with you when you are backing up the boat or loading it up that way you can back the trailer in and the other person can back up or load the boat.

9. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I can't really say as I've never hit Oshay on a Saturday since I work every saturday while in school. I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad for too long unless there's some sort of tournament going on. In that case, you can sit back and watch some of the more experienced people launch their boats so you can see what's going on.

10. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

Can't say for sure about O'Shay...but Saturday & Sundays are typically THE busiest times of the week. Stay far, far away from Alum until you're comfortable with the launch/load thing. If you're boat can handle a shallow ramp the Howard ramp up on the north end no wake zone might not be too terrible.

Hoover would be a good choice if you have 10hp or less. I would also suggest Delaware or possibly Dillon if you don't mind a bit more of a drive.

I agree with what was said about practicing backing before getting to the ramp. *Also, make sure you have all the necessary safety gear required by law.
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/opsguide/tabid/2740/Default.aspx

Be safe and have fun!