close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Steelhead

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Inspector, Feb 6, 2005.

1. I contacted Saintmathew about his posted offer to fish this Saturday and he obliged.
    I drove up to his place and we went to a nice quiet little diner downtown somewhere. Great food and very relaxing.
    We couldn't decide where to go but we finally ended up at the Avon Lake CEI plant. It was kinda crowded but a very nice place to wade with a sandy bottom and large flats leading to the edge of deep water with a fairly strong current. It was definitely different fishing in clear, fairly warm water and just over the breakwall the lake was covered in thick ice.
    I had 3 hookups with 2 landed, both about 19 inch's. The one that got away fought hard for several minutes making strong runs and then the leader broke at the jig. Some sage advise: Always retie and constantly check your knot's.
    These were not huge fish or huge numbers but they were my first steelhead catches. I did notice that these steelhead seemed much stronger, inch for inch, than the browns and rainbows I used to catch in the rivers in Georgia.
    I found Saintmathew to be very patient, helpful and generous.
    I woudn't hesitate to join him again fishing.
    Thanks again to Saintmathew.

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

3. hey rob thanx for the sweet talk... you want a kiss now???

your a great guy man, and a true fisherman humbly working his way to active steelheader status. that's great man! we would be glad to have you with ocbs. best way to go if you are gonna make this a regular thing. impressed me, came with the right gear, not afraid to listen, take advice and instruction. you did not bitch it was too cold or because you only caught two fish. your a patient man, AND you took being the newbie very well! if we said "grab the gear" or "carry this", you obeyed and took it well. (kidding). but i never saw a newbie hook and land two steelhead his first time as well as you did, so i gotta say i'm proud of you man. see you next weekend most likely. great meeting you always! thanx for a blessed day!

mat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. JV1

JV1

That fish shines like a silver medal