Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to a favorite honey hole of me and my buddies and caught 2 mature pennsylvania strain steelheads

About 4 hours of fishing to catch my first ever steelie along with 100s of gobies, bait used was a jig tipped with mealworm

Caught while centerpinning for the first time, will add pictures when i get to a computer because i cant upload from mobile

Thanks , buckeye

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
Be interested in looking at the photo's when you post em.....Steelhead normally do not run until late fall early winter and then again in the early spring....I may be wrong but what you caught maybe just a regular rainbow trout and not a steelhead....

Fish so far this season 2013

Trout - 25 ( Apple Creek and E. Branch of Rocky River )
Bluegills - 150+
Crappies - 35
Perch - 4
Kittys - 10
Steelhead - 15 ( Rocky River and E. Branch of Rocky River)
LM Bass - 25
SM Bass - 2
Pike - 8 (All from the Tuscarawas River)
Bowfins - 15 (All from the Tuscarawas River)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sweet! I've been having the itch for a while now! Congrats on getting some early fish(unless you're trying to mess with us ;) lol)

....I may be wrong but what you caught maybe just a regular rainbow trout and not a steelhead....
They don't stock regular rainbows in any of the PA Erie tribs, just steelhead and lake-run browns as smolts, and regular browns.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congratulations. We fish for the Pennsylvania strain in Conneaut Creek, usually in October, since they run before the Manistee strain that Ohio stocks.

·
BigCatJoe
209 Posts
Fish are regularly caught in rivers in August across steelhead alley every season. Good to see some showing up, but not surprising with all the water we had this summer. The first landed fish I saw a picture of last season was on August 6th.

·
NE Ohio Fly Fisherman
195 Posts
I always give someone the benefit of the doubt....but that's a nice Chrome Bullet...Steelhead.....great catch...

Tite Lines !!

Mike

Fish so far this season 2013

Trout - 25 ( Apple Creek and E. Branch of Rocky River )( 15 - Silver Creek Metro Park)( 15 - Locke 4 Canal Fulton & Crystal Springs Creek)
Bluegills - 150+
Crappies - 35
Perch - 4
Kittys - 25 Bullheads and Channel
Steelhead - 15 ( Rocky River and E. Branch of Rocky River)
LM Bass - 25
SM Bass - 2
Pike - 8 (All from the Tuscarawas River)
Bowfins - 15 (All from the Tuscarawas River)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, that's definitely a Steelhead, and a beauty too! Nice fish! I've been waiting to catch some Steel forever. So glad they're finally starting to run back into the rivers! :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hell yea i dont know why people doubted it fish do weird things sometimes start when they feel its time to start their run everywherr there is fish there is a odd ball congrats wait tilk season gets full swing you wot wanna leave the river

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
The water temp off Cleveland at the crib(according to Dick Goddard) is 70 degrees. That is measured well below the surface. I would assume it is even warmer closer to shore. Trout DIE in 70 degree water. What you did really defies any explanation. Truly amazing! You can never second guess Mother Nature!

·
Steel seeker!
227 Posts
It's cause he had an awesome guide ;) On a real note though, it was probably just a fluke and we got very lucky. We went back to the same spot a few days later and didn't catch anymore. Looks like we have to wait till Mid September. Oh, the struggle!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts