close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Nothern Sucker, caught in an odd place i guess. (PICS)

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bubba bass bigfoot, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

part of the scioto watershed runs by my house. me and Micro fish for the Green Sunfish and Creek Chub, nothing else to do and no where else to fish. we found a new hole that holds nice Green Sunfish, fun on Ultra Light gear. we were throwing live crawlers, my line started running and it turned out to be a nice little sucker. Micro also got his 2nd catfish ever out of it lol, first cat we have got there, tiny Bullhead. saw a 2-3lb channel in it last year, not sure how it got there but after a good rain it was gone.
    nothing huge bit after seeing how large suckers can get at the Darby they were on my to catch list. seen them at this little creek but none like the size of this one, most around 4-6 inches. And we saw some bigger ones, along with some more cats.

no suckers as big in the Darb those fish were 20 plus inches, saw one about 13-15inches. mice was around 10.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Next time you go catfishing stop at that hole and pick up some of them lil' green sunfish and a couple of those suckers...Toss em out with a 1/2oz slip sinker, once the line starts going nuts get ready, because a big flathead (or Channel) is about to wuff that sucker down!

3. Bubba bass bigfoot

theirs alot of them, chub and minnows also. good little bait fish creek. i have thought about it but never have follwed through with it.

4. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Will the channels hold on a structure if Flatheads are nearby? Wanted to try fishing those huge blow downs in deep bends while resting on a kayak trip, I can catch the suckers/ small gills, how to hook them on a rig that wouldn't get lost too quickly near the snags is another problem. what size of sucker/gill is too big if flats aren't common, mostly fishing Big walnut where I guess flats are there but not in alot of numbers.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

yeah its a Northern Hog Sucker.

6. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

If Flats aren't around anything like 5" and under should be fine for most average size Channels...Bigger ones (which im sure are present in the Nut) will gulp down a 6-7" without a second thought.

Slip floats are your best bet for avoiding snags, problem is most of the retailers around here don't stock the BIG ones. Gander has them occasionaly, there brown, about 5" long, and they look like a brautwurst, among other things :D (the white hot-dog looking ones are to skinny for my liking). These floats will stay afloat under almost any circumstance, unless your using a big ol' gilly' (like 8")...Thinking back, R&R might be your best bet for big floats (if all else fails)

Use a fairly big circle hook (3/0 or 4/0) and hook the bait right behind the caudal fin. Add on a couple 1/8 or 1/4oz split shots about 18" up,then toss it near the timber. Keep a close eye on the float for any supicious movement. Typically it will just bob and pulse here and there, but once a predator closes in the bait will go nuts trying to escape. At that point the float will begin to "pop" up and down, often times going completely under for a split second. Wait untill the float goes shooting down,slowly pull your line tight, let the rod "load" and set the hook...Then winch that SOB out of the snag as fast as you can!

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Northern Hogsucker...no noses involved

8. Bubba bass bigfoot

sorry Mushi, i got into a habbit of calling it that a while back. not sure where i picked it up from.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Oh I did too....until my boss kept correcting me day after day! Nice catch though, never have got one on a hook & line!

10. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

u need to try fly fishing out!!!! its awesome and nymphs and top water bugs and flys work great for sun fish and bass and especially cats! u can even use um to bang out some steelhead in the winter! i am telling ya once u try a fly rod u will never go back! i smashed gills today with a beetle with rubber legs they would come to the top and kill it! i have caught chubs all day long on a tan hares ear nymph with a indicator(basically a bobber) i have caught cat fish also on nymphs! the hares ear and the prince nymph. i reccomend fly fishing because the gills give u a good fight and also u can catch alot more fish fly fishing and never ahve to bait your hook! some fly fishing stuff is expensive but u can get a 20 dollar combo to try it out on troutlet.com i used that then upgraded to a cabela's combo once i seen how awesome it is but the martin combo works wonders! i still use it! u and your buddy will have fun all day long. hope u try it out. just read up and understand it. u need to learn a couple knots and how to cast. casting is simple in a small stream or creek i just fling it out there simple not like a pro. i am telling ya try it and get hooked!

11. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

lot's of hogs around central ohio

alum,walnut,darby,oshay,koko...etc.

12. If these guys are good cat bait and you guys are looking for a few get some livebait and head to any riffle on the river, a few weeks ago they were as thick as flys, not sure if they are the exact same kind of sucker but its close, after a while they became one heck of a nuisance.

13. Nice sucker, if ya got a cast net throw it in there. Suckers were the only thing we used to use for flatheads. I prefer the Northern Hog Suckers because they are more lively and hearty. The bad thing is they have a nack for hiding under leaves and stuff when in a flathead hole. A few tugs on the line will get them kicking again. If you use them for bait just make sure to have alot of air on them or a bait basket in the water, they will die pretty fast with no oxygen flow. I have used suckers up to 15" and caught flatheads on them. The ideal size I think is 6"-10". When I target flatheads I am not concerned with channels so I like bigger bait, not that a channel wont hit it but its not as likely. They also make a pretty fair cutbait so if you do want some channel action cut one up and see what happens.

Jake

14. StuckatHome, floats work great on smaller streams and rivers. In-Fisherman had a few segments on creek and small river fishing for cats. The key is not to waste too much time on one snag. Make a few floats through it and if nothing happens move on. The active fish will slam it almost immediately when it comes by. Channels will use those snags as ambush points and the hit will be very hard. Live bait will work fine and dont underestimate a nice chunk of fresh cut. Fishing during the day I dont know what your odds would be of getting into flatheads but you should have no problem pulling some channels out during your down time.

If you wanted to fish bottom I would fish 1/2oz. to a 1oz. sinker (depending on current) above a swivel with about 12"-18" of leader. I don't like circle hooks so I would fish with a 2/0-4/0 octopus style hook. When fishing around snags I want to set the hook as soon as the fish has the bait, not wait for him to run and then "load" the rod. Fish it right in front of the snag or to the side of it upstream. That way the scent from the bait will flow through the snag. It wont take them long to find it if they are feeding.

Jake

15. StuckAtHome

This sounds a fun way to spend when I'm resting from SM kayaking! What type of baitfish is this? I always just called them creek chubs, good for bait? I just don't think I could keep anything alive long enough to fish with it unless I go out just for cats, which sounds fun anyways!:B

Attached Files:

16. Bubba bass bigfoot

17. Those are creek chubs, very good for bait. A friend of mine was on the Buffalo River in Tenn and cast netted a bunch of them to night fish for cats with. He ended up catching 3-4lb smallies all night on them. Best thing to use for cats is what is available in your flow. If its full of chubs thats what the fish are feeding on, same with shiners, shad, etc. I wouldn't worry about keeping bait alive. Just take a ziplock baggie, small soft sided cooler, and an ice pack. If you able to get a few chubs or suckers throw them in there and cut them up when ya get to a spot you think is good. If you wanna keep them alive just get yourself a trolling minnow bucket and tie it off to one of your cleats. Thats what we do when we live bait fish out of our yaks.

Jake

18. StuckAtHome

Thanks for the info, I thought they were creek chubs, and they feel very meaty, not too bony, great cat food!

19. that sucker is a white sucker, not a northern hog....
    bring a cast net to those little streams, i never knew just how many of those suckers where in the little creeks until i netted them, most of the time you cant see them even in a foot or two of water but you'll throw the net and get 20