Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Knox lake yesterday evening started off catching nothing on crappie soft plastic so I switched it up to Berkeley gulp minnows and started hammering gills nothing of size. Up by the stumps buddy I was with hooked up with a huge carp on a ultralight rod then soon after he changed to a 1in orange rapala and hooked up with a 25in blue cat that in hailed his lure, I put on a small crappie bass looking rapala and still continued catching gills then finally hooked up with a few 11in largemouths and in the cove by the dam got my first crappie of the day.... All fish were released to fight another day.. Think I will be taking my kids here so they can have some gill action for the day next week

·
Registered
805 Posts
There aren't any blue cat's in Knox?
Your right there is none. Check the anal fins curved for channel straight for blue. I have caught several channels in knox that do have a confusing blue tent that to the quick look it looks to be a bluecat but at a look at the anal fin I have found them to be channels... here's a pic of one I caught unfortunatly its a pic of a recovered pic after a phone mishap so loss of color in the pic... but it left me wondering if there was blues in knox until further research found they have never been stocked there.. anyways good job on knox man how's the water look?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it was a flathead cat then I'm just going by what he said. Its body was a dark blue/black in color and belly was white. From what I am reading online a flathead cat is yellow or brown with a yellow or yellow white belly.... it I can get a pic of it I will post it

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water was clear out to 6in away from shore, can see logs to 8ft of water the bigger ones anyways carp are stirring up water along shore by the dam,we said mark a lot of fish in the deeper channels but didn't try for them

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must add that I was wearing polarized sunglasses to and it was the hrs of 4-10p

·
Registered
805 Posts
Maybe it was a flathead cat then I'm just going by what he said. Its body was a dark blue/black in color and belly was white. From what I am reading online a flathead cat is yellow or brown with a yellow or yellow white belly.... it I can get a pic of it I will post it
Very possible of it being a flathead from knox I have seen one personally (dead tho) from there and several pics of them from knox aswell. .. the dead flathead I seen had the same kind of dark blue black town but then agian it was also pretty rank looking so discoloration could of came from the sun or something on that one...ill save ya from having to look at the pick lol..but yea one thing to really look at on them is definitely the anal fin.. google the difference between channels flat and blues and it will add in further identification. ..

Side note clarity sounds great . I've been really meaning to get my yak into that stump field so might just have to try and get out there soon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we didn't mark much in the stump area they were mostly in open water bunched up between 8-12 feet down we did mark a few here and there shallow.

Let me know when you plan on taking you yak out and I will see if my schedule will allow for me to get some time away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts