Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Kayaker, Deadhead and Dad
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got my kayak all rigged last night and we'll take her on her inaugual fishing trip today. The plan was Hoover for <10hp fun, but it sounds like folks are getting skunked there, so we're heading to Alum. The plan is to launch from the Howard Ramp...any info for fishing around there? It's in the no wake zone, so we figure paddling should be easier.

I've never fished a reservoir from a boat before, and I've never fished from a kayak ever, so I imagine this will be a substantial learning experience.

Pics and a report to follow, tonight. Wish us luck! :B

·
Kayaker, Deadhead and Dad
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man alive that was fun. Launched right near the dock at the Howard Road ramp and stayed pretty close. Fished some rip rap with nibbles but no fish. We then paddled and fished right across from the launch site. I had a bite or two on a drop shot rig with a GULP shad, but ended up with nothing. My wife on the other hand, was fishing a worm and bobber when her rod went down, FAST. the drag was screaming, and when with a bit of help we saw a gigantic cat surface. He threw the lightweight crappie hook before I could get him in (note to self: buy a net!) but it was a real thrill in a kayak. The fish pulled us a good 30 or 40 feet from our spot.

I can't wait to get out again. Tonight was just perfect, warm, calm water and easy paddling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts