Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying used for my first yak. What will I need to get it registered in my name for the state of Ohio?

I'm thinking of getting a sit on top around 12 ft in length. Fishing mostly in Franklin county.

Looked at Dicks today at the preception sport 12.5 ft. Seemed like a nice yak for $599.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
50 Posts
Getting registered is very simple there will be a certificate in the manual when you buy it take that and a drivers license . And you will be good to go believe it was $20. As for the kayak make sure you sit in as many as you can the seat is the key !!! You will be sitting the entire time for the most part and you will want to be comfortable . Also take a look at how much room you will have for tackle and ext. you don't want to be crammed when you load up with your gear. Good luck !

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting registered is very simple there will be a certificate in the manual when you buy it take that and a drivers license . And you will be good to go believe it was $20. As for the kayak make sure you sit in as many as you can the seat is the key !!! You will be sitting the entire time for the most part and you will want to be comfortable . Also take a look at how much room you will have for tackle and ext. you don't want to be crammed when you load up with your gear. Good luck !
Thanks for the input. If I were to buy used. ..should I expect the owner to have this certificate? If so, how do I get it transferred?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure . I would assume you can do it without it , pretty sure all you would need is the cereal # and make model and size ( I think ) worst case call to the place were you will be registering and they would be able to tell you what all you will need. But when I registered that's all they took off of that certificate so I can't really see why they couldn't do it with out it

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure . I would assume you can do it without it , pretty sure all you would need is the cereal # and make model and size ( I think ) worst case call to the place were you will be registering and they would be able to tell you what all you will need. But when I registered that's all they took off of that certificate so I can't really see why they couldn't do it with out it
Good point. I'll give the bmv a call. Thanks! Which kayak do you have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a future beach 12 ft not too expensive and gets the job done and its still easy for me to load/ unload my self

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks trailbreaker. Which one did you end up with?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a future beach 12 ft not too expensive and gets the job done and its still easy for me to load/ unload my self
Which future beach model? How do you like it?

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
All you need is a bill of sale from previous owner.
And you want the Division of Watercraft on Morse Rd, not the BMV. That's good news BTW, no lines, nice people, and you always have the right paperwork.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All you need is a bill of sale from previous owner.
And you want the Division of Watercraft on Morse Rd, not the BMV. That's good news BTW, no lines, nice people, and you always have the right paperwork.
Ahhhh...that's very helpful. I was planning on going to BMV!

Bill of sale...what's a proper bill of sale that they'll accept?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Future beach trophy 144 I love it. Like I said I can load it / unload it alone stable I can stand in it it's got all the room I need I did have to add a paddle holder and I added a rod holder to the front ( it came with two directly behind the seat) but I wanted one in front of me were it was a little more accessible when fishing , and I set up an Anchor system.i purchased mine at dunhams . All and all I'm very happy with it not too much invested and still have a blast out of it and have access to great spots a boat can't reach

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Future beach trophy 144 I love it. Like I said I can load it / unload it alone stable I can stand in it it's got all the room I need I did have to add a paddle holder and I added a rod holder to the front ( it came with two directly behind the seat) but I wanted one in front of me were it was a little more accessible when fishing , and I set up an Anchor system.i purchased mine at dunhams . All and all I'm very happy with it not too much invested and still have a blast out of it and have access to great spots a boat can't reach
Thanks plmrc! That's a nice one. I'm actually gonna buy two...one for my better half. We sat in both styles today at dicks...sit in and sit on top. We both liked the sit on top. Have you tried that style? Why'd you go with the sit in?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Two real reasons were I could keep some of my gear at my feet and keep it dry for for the most part ( I also have a Nylon skirt ) and two being I felt more stable in the sit in I can stand and what not .i just got into to kayak fishing I kept passing the idea around reading up and looking around for about 2 years till I caved in. I guess it's just a preference thing I also want to try and duck hunt out of it

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ahhhh...that's very helpful. I was planning on going to BMV!

Bill of sale...what's a proper bill of sale that they'll accept?

Bill of sale is any written or typed note with seller and buyer info and item info on it. Make two, 1 for both the buyer and seller for record. Print and sign both copies. Include price and date and any nessasary details. Also to transfer registration is $5. New boat with alternative single sticker is $25 for 3 years.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Two real reasons were I could keep some of my gear at my feet and keep it dry for for the most part ( I also have a Nylon skirt ) and two being I felt more stable in the sit in I can stand and what not .i just got into to kayak fishing I kept passing the idea around reading up and looking around for about 2 years till I caved in. I guess it's just a preference thing I also want to try and duck hunt out of it
My concern are the open holes in the sit on top...thinking water will always be present and I'll end up with swamp ass :) I'll have to figure that part out. I've been throwing the idea around for about a month. The gf has been wanting one for a year now...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bill of sale is any written or typed note with seller and buyer info and item info on it. Make two, 1 for both the buyer and seller for record. Print and sign both copies. Include price and date and any nessasary details. Also to transfer registration is $5. New boat with alternative single sticker is $25 for 3 years.
Ah...this is the info I needed. Thanks! Does this need notorized?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts