close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Kayak Adventure

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by CoolWater, Jun 25, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I finally took the kayak out for a true fishing experience. I had gotten it off of Ebay last year - got a good deal, just hadn't put it to use. The launch was from the dock at my home and I took the kayak across the river and 'beached' it on some rocks by the Route 2 overpass. I only had one pole and rigged a good ole fashioned nightcrawler and weight. Not having a ton of time, I just wanted to catch something. It didn't take long to get a bite, and in short order I had caught a medium sized Freshwater Drum. I must say the powerboats and pwc drivers were idiots. So many people choosing to make their circles right where I was fishing. There is an entire river to have fun - yet people wanted to show off in front of me. That was beyond annoying. Not wanting to cross the river too late, I ventured back home with ease and was happy with my first trip out.

I know the yak isn't anything too special, but for limited recreational use I think it will do fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sounds like you had fun. Nice that you got the yak out. I also love multi-species fishing.

BlueWater

3. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Need to get that yak out on some small creeks and rivers, what a blast!
    Mike

4. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

Sounds like a good time. For more fun, you should try fishing from the yak instead of beaching. Makes a fight with a good pulling fish all the more fun when they take you for a ride. I like the fish decal.

Just an FYI, I don't think your OH numbers would pass DOW inspection. I'm sure they would just give you a warning, but thought I'd mention, as I've seen them give warnings for stensiled or not fully contrasting numbers before.

5. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

Coolwater, you should try yaking the maumee sometime. Let me know if you ever want a recomendation for a good drift?

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Coolwater, here is some great info: Check out Riversmallies.com and see how some of those guys rig their outfit. You should be able to get into some awesome fishing with that little yak. Looks great for Maumee or Sandusky(I am think of hittin the river from McCutheonville to Tiffin sometime).

Maybe rig up a rod holder or two. Get some small in-line spinners, twister tail jigs, tube jigs and you're ready go! First light is a great time to hit it this time of year!

CG

7. Cory is right, fish from the yak, it's so much more fun. It makes catching junkfish like sheephead and white perch a blast. Try doing some vertical jigging in it.