first ice / winter predictions

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Oct 24, 2007.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

wondering when you all think we'll be on the ice and what kind of winter you all think we're gonna have

im hoping to be on the ice by Dec. 23rd. and hoping the ice lasts until early April. no warm ups this year!:confused:

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

3. The map posted only shows Central Ohio... I checked Northeast and there's a much better probability of cool temps...

I'll go with a normal to late Winter this season... January 10.

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Feb 15th.

flash----------------------------------out

5. I say Feb 2nd
    Start collecting them Acorns boys and girls
    geowol

6. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

Funny this should come up now. We where sitting around last weekend planning a Simcoe Trip ! My quess for Ohio Ice will Be Dec 28 ? Don't say where ? Could be Sketter Or Sandusky Bay Or even my one of the Marinas in west Harbor. It will be here soon !!! Forgot Erie ice will be January 20 !

7. un fortunately it seems the last few winters that its really cold then really warm and rainy. In two to 3 week cycles week cycles.

my prediction is thin ice in a few places by christmas, but then warm again until mid january. Then cold for 3 weeks, and a slow thaw throught febuary.

this is not what I hope for, but what I have come to expect.

8. Everything I'm seeing is calling for a mild winter but wetter than normal. I say Jan 21st for a short 3 weeks of ice fishing.

9. Presque Isle bay, Jan 16, DUST OFF THE DANCIN SHOES BIG DADDY

10. Not soon enough!! I'll say inland lakes Dec. 30 and Erie Jan. 24.

11. i have stopped beleiving all the "long range forecasts" Last winter was supossed to be warm and I would consider it to have been pretty cold.
    last hurricane season was supposed to have at least 5 major storms, but we had ZERO.

here is what they predicted for last winter,
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2742.htm
    That was wrong.

Here is the winter before.
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2520.htm
    if memory serves me right that was not exactly correct either, i think the 05/06 winter was really warm here.

12. i actually tried to find some today. i couldent find many about 13. none of them had any grubs in them but they were all soggy inside. do u think they could have gone into the ground.

13. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

no fishable ice on erie this year. :( jan 20th on skeeter for 3 weeks....get it while is on..its not lasting long:p

14. merry xmas!!! dec 25 on local ponds jan 25 for erie islands!!!! we WILL have fishable ice!!!

15. hardwaterfan

peple sounds like you found some old ones from last year. fill up a 5 gallon bucket with fresh fallen, leather-brown colored ones. not grayish old looking ones. after a few days empty out the acorns without tipping the bucket all the way over and look in the bottom of the bucket. i have the best luck in city areas where there arent as many squirrels or deer. deer love acorns and wont leave you any! also you could have found some fresh ones and just not had them in there. hard to say.

16. hardwaterfan

17. There was a lot of deer prints by the trees I could not find any. I went to russle and managed to get 2 grubs on that was it. I will be going in the cleveland area this weekend so hopefully i will be able to get a bunch.