close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First GMR pike

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by River Anglin, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Yeah, it's small but I've never caught a northern pike and my son found this one in an unlikely location. It was really cool because he talks about catching a northern all the time. "Hey Dad, maybe we'll catch a northern today!" Well, he did it.

He also got a nice crappie, which I haven't seen in the area for a long time. 3 more smallies rounded out his day while I got skunked. The river is starting to offer some good stuff lately.

[​IMG]

2. Hey nice catch! The river is full of suprises, got to love it.:)

3. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Cool.

Don't feel bad about getting skunked, i fished a couple hours tonight and caught two smallies about the size of my thumb. (I was throwing a husky jerk that looks like the lure on your son's line.) At least somebody's catching something!

4. fishymcgoo

fishymcgoo I DIDN'T SEE THE SIGN

i love fishing the river because you never know what you are going to catch. there are so many different species. i havent caught a pike yet but thats the beautiful thing i could go out fishing for smallies and catch one tommorow. i was catfishing the other night and caught a carp with a piece of cutbait? crazy.

5. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

Nice catch! It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but I think that may be a musky, not a northern.

Brian

6. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Congratulations to your son on a very healthy looking pike! Hope it's the first of many for him. Is dad catching fish???

7. I was thinking the same thing. Kinda hard to tell with the way the light is hitting it.

I don't suppose you have any other pictures of it do you? If so please post.

It is great that there is a population of northerns in the GMR. It would be fantastic if there were also muskie.

8. I think it is a Northern because of the rounded tail tips and it generally seemed to be a darker fish with light markings, as opposed to a light fish with dark markings. Here's a closeup and the only other photo I took while it was flopping around.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. No, Dad got skunked again this morning while he caught 5 healthy rock bass. I've been throwing some big baits looking for a BIG FISH!

10. Looks like a pike in the close-up. The light in the first pic did make it look musky-ish, though! Awesome catch!

11. Thanks for the additional pics. I agree it is a northern.

Tell your son congratulations on a fine catch. Now just wait until he does catch his first muskie, then you will be in trouble.

12. midoh39

midoh39 member

Nice catch Ive only caught one this year about 25". But a good sign is that people are starting to catch smaller ones which I believe is a sign of reproduction. Im trying the river tonight Ill post how I do

13. There is no question. Thats a pike, pike have spots and muskies if they have any markings will have bars. that fish deffinenlty had spots. I saw someone catch a small musky out of the gmr by taylors vill dam a few years ago so I know there are some in there. I have caught many pike out of the GMR as well though and there is a limited population there.

14. Not trying to start anything here so please don't take it as such. Just trying to help.

There are four general "types" of muskies: Clear (no markings), Barred, Spotted, and Tiger (northern/muskie hybrid). There is another but it is exclusive to Eagle Lake in Canada (Leopard-Tiger Muskie).

Clear Muskie:
    http://soma56.com/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10005/normal_45in_CC_Muskie.JPG

Spotted Muskie:
    http://soma56.com/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10005/normal_41in_Detroit_Ski~0.JPG

Barred Muskie:
    http://soma56.com/cpg1416/albums/wpw-20080225/normal_49incher-Kelly_amp_Tom-big.jpg

15. anyone ever catch any pike south of franklin? It seems like the ones being caught are all up north. Just curious because thats about as far north as I get on the GMR and wouldnt mind catching a pike.

16. TeamPlaker

TeamPlaker Fishing Deadbeat

Great... now I have another variation to add to my "to catch before I die" list! Guess I need to plan a trip to Canada. I never heard of that particular variation of muskie before.... I still have to land a tiger! Need to cross a Northern off my list too.

17. Weatherby -

Very interesting. I had no idea there were so many variations. As far as muskies in the GMR go, I can recall 3 persons who claim to have caught them in the GMR in Miami County over the years. They may very well have been northerns mistaken for muskies. Northern pike are a rare find around here, but I have seen photos of some sizable catches. About 20 years ago, a friend showed me a very long northern in his freezer, which he claimed to be a "State Record". I don't know about the supposed record, but it was big and it was taken from local waters.

18. getting a pike anywhere in southern OH is a rare catch, congrats!