Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since close by, I drove through the park around 1:30 today. Lake completely froze over. One guy out(first thought it was an exposed tree stump from the seriously low water drawdown). Watched it for a couple minutes, the stump stood up. Area near the dog park. No idea of ice thickness, proceed at your own risk. Be Spuddin’! Bet Cong. Rd was loaded(another guess). I “guess” I’ll close on that one!😊

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Word of caution, driving thru the park yesterday, I noticed there are two large areas of “open water” abt 50 yds in front of the administration building/parking lot, surrounded by what “appears” to be solid ice. I’ve heard there’s springs under Wft but not sure where they might be. This area should have been iced over as was the rest of the lake so with more cold nights and “abundant” snow tonight thru Monday night, this area will be thinner than the rest of the lake. Use your spudbar if walking off the main parking lot area-or heck, anywhere on ice!

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STILL open water yesterday same areas as previously mentioned! I think the 4-5’ drawdown(big excavator, two big work trucks & crew at the dam off Waterloo yesterday) has reduced the depth such that the “springs“(can’t really be anything else), are keeping areas we’ve previously ice fished open! In other words, the springs are keeping the open areas from freezing Because they are nearly half their normal depth. Thinking I’ll avoid ice fishing at Wft til Spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts