Ohio Game Fishing banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,942 Posts
I heard my first cicada of the summer, yesterday. Fast forward 90 days and if the old adage holds true, the first frost will be on or about October 19th.
Let's see if it holds true.
Calling for possible frost here in the Youngstown area for tomorrow (Friday) night. If it happens, the prediction is pretty darn close. Might have to cover tomatoes.

·
The end is near
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yea, same here in central OH. Time will tell.

·
The end is near
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I heard my first cicada of the summer, yesterday. Fast forward 90 days and if the old adage holds true, the first frost will be on or about October 19th.
Let's see if it holds true.
Well, that ol cicada was off 2 days. Not too shabby if you ask me. Then again, maybe I missed it "singing" 2 days prior?
All-in-all I'd say it was pretty dag-gone close. Close enough for this hillbilly. :)

Still ain't seen any Wooly bears.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
8,942 Posts
We "kinda sorta" had a frost last night. I covered the tomatoes just in case. I went outside just before going to bed. Yes, it was doggone cold, but the aire was moving. Still air gives more frost. Up this morning, I look out the kitchen window and see no frost on the grass. Then I look at my trucks tonneau cover, and it looks a little glazed, but not white. I go outside and look at it closely, and there is a razor thin layer of clear ice on the cover.

The air was mighty dry last night, so there wasn't much moisture to make frost. Plus, the tonneau had cold air underneath it too. I guess that why no frost on the grass. Whatever. Tomorrow I'm going to take the plants apart, and hang the tomatoes I have left down the basement. It's time.

And no wooly bears here either.

Reactions: ress and Lazy 8

·
The end is near
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It got down to 35 here last night and I looked out and could see white on the darker surfaces. I had covered up my remaining 6 tomato plants which were ok. I had an impatient basket out that took some damage but it didn't kill it. 42 tonight and uphill next week. If it had called for frost after frost I wouldn't of bothered covering them. Oh, I covered 2 jalapeno plants. :)

41 - 47 of 47 Posts