Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the yaks out with my oldest. Hit our favorite hole for about four hours. Catching bait was kinda hard with the faster water, but we did okay after we found out where the bait was. Caught a lot of emerald shiners, streamline chubs, and two northern hog suckers. While catching bait, what looked like a juvie eagle flew overhead. Kinda dark brown with goldish specks.

We went an hour with no fish on. I decided to wade out a bit and caught a small white. My son did the same and caught this smallie.

Barechested Adventure Recreation Muscle Thumb

No more fish for a while, and we were having trouble fishing where we wanted to due to the current. We got in the boats and stuck to some logs which made it easy to drift weightless baits. Soon after we had a lot these guys, biggest being around 12".

Fish Fish Bass Recreational fishing Fishing

My son caught another smallie on a worm.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

I saw a gar surface ten feet away, and dropped my bait there. A few frantic splashes and dives later, this guy was in the yak, hooked squarely through the nose.

Fish Fish Coregonus lavaretus Mullet Fisherman

Shortly after, I had another gar cut the braid, so I put on a leader. The extra weight pushed the bait deeper and I shortly pulled in my first flathead ever!

Fish Fish Bass Trout Fishing

These guys fight big for their size, and just plain look cool. I caught a decent channel after that, and a bigger white.

By now, we are out of smaller minnows and I decide to throw a 6" sucker on and see what happens. A few drifts later I feel a tap, and the rod loads heavier than I have ever felt. I am running 12lb super cast, and am confident in it, but the rod is in a U and I fear it might break. I never see the fish, but I do pull it closer. It is near the yak, and then the rod just unloads. I pull the bait up, and it has no marks or anything. Super strange, but now I want to hook this beast again.

A couple more tosses get me my second flattie ever, a little smaller than the first. He ate the 6" sucker. eyes must be bigger than his belly

We pack up and drift back while casting and pick up a few more smallies in the 12" range.

We ended up with 1 channel, 2 flatheads, 7 whites, 5 smallmouth, and 1 gar. Pulling the yaks out, four blackhawks flew over. It was a great day on the water.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nice, congrats on the flats. Some people only care about size, but good numbers and good variation make for a really fun day on the water.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Catching a flattie was one of my goals for the year, so I am ecstatic to have caught two in a single day. Plus, that is my first gar of the year and biggest white so far. My boy only caught three of those fish, but even then he had a great time on the water. We don't get a lot of one on one time, as he has two much younger siblings. It was a great day, one of the best fishing days this year. We both were pretty happy the rest of the day. A good trip has that effect, ya know?

As far as water quality, you gotta keep an eye on multiple streams. These rainstorms, though they drop a lot of water, aren't soaking the same watersheds, so some creeks and streams are easily fishable. Streams outside of major metropolitan areas tend to see less net effect from the rain, as there is less concrete and more buffer. The GMR was a mess when I crossed it this day, and this stream is only two minutes away.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts