close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Flathead of the year

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by flathunter, Apr 15, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Yea I know, just a dink 6-lber but it was good to get my first of the year..Rhonda and I also caught a bunch of dink Channel cats, nothing over a couple -lbs..Caught them all on cut Shad..I lost agin what felt like a very large fish, dang them circle hooks!

[​IMG]

Heres Rhonda

[​IMG]

2. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

nice going jack..i got :S today.. :D
    goood lookin spot too.. ;)

3. flathead

flathead flathead

where you fishin at here

4. flathead

flathead flathead

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

nice fish, you gotta start the year off somewhere

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Good job Jack. Nice going buddy! I'm moe than jealous.

7. H2O Mellon

I see a braidge, which means car, which means a road, which mean this pot must be easy to get too, which means something I've never seen out of Jack. What was up, a little tired didnt want to battle cliffs, mud, stickers, hills, ticks, & bigfoot(s)? :p I'm happy for you man!

8. They all count. The river or creek behind you looks really nice. I think I might try to do some nightfishing the next time the weather and my work schedule agree with each other. I've got that urge to hear that baitclicker clicking.

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Looks like fun, I have to get out sometime. ;)

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

11. catking

catking Banned

Nice going Jackson !!! Man, my wife is killing me using my cattin truck for work.......... She works this morning and tonight.......... :( ..Looks as if I'll be buying a bike like " Oscar " did........... :D ..Hey, nice lookin day you and the Mrs. had !!! THE CATKING !!!.... :)

12. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Way to go Jack.....i certainly remember that spot, great area.

Circle hooks ya say......lol.....thats why i never use them!!

Scott

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I love Circles for channel cats..HOWEVER...I have lost about 6 fish in the last cople years on them that felt like trophy Flatheads..Cant be sure of course, but they felt like 30+ -LB FISH..Same senario, fish would slam the bait, double the big cat rod over almost to the breaking point..Fight the fish for a few seconds and then its gone..Reel in the bait and find that the point of the hook had truned into the cutbait, preventing a hookset..I hope I learn someday.

14. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

I guess the answer for that is to ALWAYS be prepared for the big flathead and use "GOOD" hooks...i hate circle hooks for that exact reason Jack, never got them to hook up very well on large fish.......as you say, good for channels...but thats about it.

Scott

15. H2O Mellon

I'll chime in :D
    I've been trying to get used to them now too, same thing I think I lost that larger one due to the circle. I think they are/will be great for Channells. The problem I'm having is the "What If Factor" What if a large fish, Channell or Flatheads takes my bait & I miss it due to the hook being turned into the cut bait or something like that. Is it worth loosing a :B in order to catch the smaller ones easier? :confused: This is what I'm not sure about. I see advantages but I also see BIG disadvantages. At the same time, I want to go w/ what someone like Doc knows, shoot they got the 88lb Blue on a circle hook, so they obvious can catch HUGE fish.

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Always use what YOU have confedence in..thats the key to any fishing situation.

I have lots of confedence in Gamakatsu Octopus hooks, so thats what i use......same goes for rod/reel, line, rigs, knots, baits...on and on.

Scott

17. WTG, Hopefully I will land my first Flat of the year here in a few weeks.

18. H2O Mellon

I have lots of the Gamakatsu Octopus (red color) I really like them.