close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First flathead of the year (sort of)

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by M.Magis, May 28, 2004.

1. I went to the city duck pond tonight to see if I could catch some small carp for flatheads tomorrow. I couldn't catch any small enough, but I somehow managed to hook and land this 28 lb. flathead. :D It took more patience than I though I had, but I finally got him to shore with my little medium action rod with 8 lb. test. Somehow, the small hook snagged him in the base of the tail. Not how I like to catch them, but still worthy of a picture. A tail hooked flathead, on light tackle, makes for a LONG battle. Sorry for the house in the background, but I thought he deserved better then to live in that cesspool of a pond, destined to be taken out with the garbage when some kid catches him on chicken liver. :mad: So, I rushed him home and put him in my largest pond. I think he'll be much happier there.

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Glad you rescued that nice Flathead..I bet that was a blast on light tackle!

3. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

Nice fish. Maybe I should start fishing for bait more often. :eek:

4. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Mike

I think you did good getting that fish out of the pond. Hope you got some bait of the correct size.

Jason was expecting me when I got to his place looking for bait ;)
    He suggested I try some mudpuppies but I declined that offer.

Sis and Kayla said thanks for the buckets ;)

5. Yeah, Jason uses some interesting things for bait. I like to stick to the tried and true. ;) If you need any more buckets let me know. I know how things seem to dissappear from from the Catfish Queen. :eek: ;) Since I gave up the sacrificial rod and reel so early this year, do you think the catfish gods will be kind to me? :D

6. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. :cool: Also, thanks for transferring the fish. :) There may be more of those in that pond. Will you be going back with flathead bait? If so, good luck.

7. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I caught a big channel cat in the Ohio with a spoon in it's back a few weeks ago, it felt like a 30# fish, so I guess a 30# fish must've felt like a 60# !!
    I adjusted your picture a little for you. Jim

Attached Files: