close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by troutcar, May 24, 2004.

1. This past week I went and bought my two year old son his first fishing pole. It is a small (3ft) set up that has Tigger (You know ...T-I double G er) featured on it.

I usually don't use worms, instead I tie flys or use lures. This day though we dug up some worms out back and headed to the local pond. George Rogers Clark Park (SW OH, Clark County, Springfield)

I have fished there off and on over the years and only caught tiny fish. It is local and easy to get to for me so overall it is fun but not somewhere I would go to catch a "real" fish if you know what I mean.

We were there about 8am and I put a worm on and threw it out for him. He reeled it in and we repeated this for few times.

Then I threw it out and gave it to him again. This time he caught one. Except it was really pulling. Knowing he had something big and wanting to show him, I took the rod from him and tried reeling it in. It came to the surface and broke the water. I tried easing it in but "Snapppp!" If you have been around a two year old or have one, you have to imagine his excitment. Saying "Big Fish Big Fish"

I thought the line snapped but what happened was the hook straightend out. I never saw enough to ID the fish but in all my time fishing there, it was the biggest fish I ever saw there.

We continued fishing and a few tries later he hooked another one and actually reeled it all the way in. It was a good day.

2. Good job getting him out and started on the good path!

Also, when I hook into a good fish to this day, I revert back to being a two year old and all I can mange to say is "BIG FISH, BIG FISH". Heck, sometimes, I can't even speak! I just mumble incoherently. :D :eek:

Nice job.

Carl

3. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds like a great day :)

4. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Great story! I caught my first fish at Harpersfield on the Grand almost 35 years ago and that spot still holds a special place in my heart because of it. I sincerely hope that this is the first of many, many fish that you and your boy catch together! :)