Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Fish of 2005

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by GMR_Guy, Jan 4, 2005.

1. On Monday I managed to land 2 channel cats approximately 12 and 16" from a tiny creek that dumps into the GMR. This creek often dries up in the summer. However, with the recent rains, the GMR had risen about 7 feet. There's nothing like 60 degree rainy weather and floods to get fish moving into these areas in search of food and shelter. I was only able to fish an hour but am confident that I could have caught a lot of channel cats had I more time to fish. I'll try and post pictures of these two "monsters" once I get them developed.
  2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Good job on the cats,

I caught my first 2 fish of the year on new years day, both of which were small white bass.

3. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

thats great to hear, i was wondering when the waters around around here will be fishable again.. i'm still looking to catch my first fish of the year..
  4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Glad to hear you guys are getting out. With all the rain we are having, I'll have the Scioto in my back yard in a few days and can sit on my patio and cast.
  5. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

I ain't caught nothin all year!
  6. catking

catking Banned

Nice going GMR !! With all this rain we are having today, the GMR will be over it's banks for awhile . I guess better rain & warm that snow & cold :) THE CATKING !!!
  7. Nice going! I thought about giving you a call Monday for some of the same. My idiot self went into work instead.
  8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

If all this rain does not stop soon alot of people could be in for some trouble..I live 1/2 mile from paint creek. And 1-mile from the scioto, things could get kinda scary!
  9. went out sunday and listened to the browns game . i did catch a 4lb bass and 1 buddy caught 4 crappies,if it wouldn t of started raining again i would of stayed longer,nice minnows corey.
  10. Well, it looks like there's a few of us that were able to take advantage of the warm weather. It feels good to catch anything this time of year. I sure hope that nobody gets flooded out. The pictures of the fish came out grainy and are not worth posting.

gmrkatman, I'm getting my 180 gallon aquarium delivered tomorrow - the perfect size for a beginner like me. I've been doing a lot of reading, but am still trying to make some decisions on lighting and subtrate material since I want a planted aquarium.

The long term forecast looks real good. Maybe we are done with winter.
  11. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Substrate: I use flourite for my plant tank and it might be the best bet. It'll cost an arm and a leg to fill a 180 though. Another option is mixing laterite with other substrate.

Lighting: The best (within reason) would be power compacts (compact flourescent). If you are also getting a canopy for the aquarium check out for lighting kits.

Plants: Might also consider co2, intra-substrate heating cables, blah blah blah...
  12. Tim thanks for the input. I've heard a lot of people recommending power compacts and it seems like AHsupply is whom most people refer to. So I'm leaning heavily toward that solution.

Substrate. Carib-Sea makes a substrate called Eco-Complete that some people recommend. Of course, cost is a major concern, so I'm entertainig thoughts of possibly using potting soil covered by an inch layer of something.
    I'll have to take a look at fluorite.

I'm going to wait and see if I can get good enough results without c02, but I'll fork over the bucks if it is needed. I'm also going to pass on substrate heating cables.

As for fish, I plan on catching them. 20 years ago I had good success keeping members of the bass and sunfish families, but learned that they can be quite anti-social in a small tank. Usually one fish will bully the others. I'm hoping with a bigger aquarium, lots of cover, and small specimens that this won't be as much of a problem.