close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

first ever steelhead trip

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by shorty413, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm taking my first steelhead trip this Sunday. I think we are going to the Grand and maybe the Chagrin. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on locations, equipment, techniques. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. I can't wait. Any info. would be very much appreciated. Is wading the only way to go? Or can you have success from the shore as well? Thank you and good fishing to everyone.

2. You will be able to access more water if you wade. Hip boots will help but waders are best. Be careful as there are a lot of obstacles under water in rivers as well as some rapid drop offs and soft spots. If you advise how you plan to fish, spinning of flycasting, advise should follow. One thing for sure is it will be crowded if the current weather report holds.

3. We will be spinfishing. Should have mentioned that. Thank you. I'll have to try to find some waders.

4. 'Nother bit of advice....GO EARLY !

It will be crowded whereever you go.

And I'm talkin' about an hour before sun up...

steely123

5. Steely is right, it will be crowded. The water is so low and clear, the number of holes to fish is very limited. Expect to fight a few guys for a hole.

6. If you're using spinning gear, you can float bait or cast hardware. If floating bait, minnows work great suspended just of the bottom. If casting hardware, spoons and spinners are a good choice. Regardless of what you use, choose the lightest tackle you can and cast beyond your target and reel into it, as the fish get spooked easily in low and clear conditions. The splash of a bobber can set them running. Look for deeper pools near faster flows and experiment. One thing if your floating bait, the bite can be very light, so set the hook when in doubt. Last thing, if you hook up, hold on. They fight like mules! Good luck!

7. Hey, thanks for all the advice. A friend is lending me a 10' noodle rod. Would this be an acceptable rod? The longest one I own is a 6 1/2ft bionic blade. How about line weight? Again, thanks for all the advice so far. I love this site.

8. That rod is easily long enough. I would use 6 lb mono, and either 4 or 6 lb fluorocarbon as a leader.