close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Chicken's

Discussion in 'Wild Edibles' started by Mi-Mic-Kay, Aug 24, 2017.

1. I've always wanted to learn more about fall hunting, had always done the spring morel thing but didn't know enough about the fall shrooms to even know what to look for.
    Being a new member OGF earlier this year I can't believe the amount of information in all the forms each of you share with one another! It's a great site and I'd like to thank all of you!

After work last night I walked behind the house to the ravine and saw these from 50yds away. After reading all of your post & pics this year I knew instantly what they were. I raised both hands in the air and yelled CHICKENS!!! My wife thought ours had gotten out of the pen so I took her down for a closer look and an explanation of what they were.

We are heading to southern Oh this weekend to rent a cabin & visit the caves and was thinking of taking a few with us for our first taste. Should I just fry them up in a little butter?

Thanks again for all the information.

IMG_20170823_182546900.jpg

IMG_20170823_182524022_HDR.jpg

3. Good for you! Many ways to cook them but most just cut in 1 inch strips & fry in butter over medium heat with what seasonings you like. I like to dust in flour. You can also bread & deep fry like chicken tenders. Hope you enjoy them!

Mi-Mic-Kay likes this.
  4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

good find and welcome to the site...

Mi-Mic-Kay likes this.
  5. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

Nice! I'm a big soup guy and chicken noodle is my linchpin. I want to make chicken noodle with well chickens haha I have a lot of people who are not meat eaters so it's been on my mind for a few years. Those look like nice fresh chickens. Where are you located in the state?

Mi-Mic-Kay likes this.
  6. Morrow county. Soup sounds like a good idea, have to keep that in mind.

7. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Went out and checked a couple of my chicken logs this morning. One flushed and the other didn't. The log that flushed surprised me because it's been bone dry around here, and hot! I could walk right across the little creek that flows beside it because it's completely dried up!

But, the chickens didn't look the same. They weren't quite as robust or fat as last year. They were thinner, top to bottom, more "wafer" like. And they were already starting to feel dry. So, I don't think I'll take any this year.