Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm faced with a dilemma fellas and I'm hoping for some help. I have 4 days left before my foot surgery which will leave me incapacitated (no more bank fishing) for at least 3 months. I have yet to catch my first channel of the year, despite targeting them (albeit not exclusively) since April. I've had a few runs and a few nibbles but can't seem to catch one. After yesterday's skunk at Buckeye Lake, I'm a little perturbed to say the least. I'm wondering if anyone can provide some advice. I've been using shrimp, minnows, and crawlers and nothing. I don't have access to fresh shad and I have yet to have any luck on chicken livers. It may be the times or places where I target them. I've tried on the bottom and suspending in the water column. I've tried Alum, Hoover, and Buckeye. Needless to say I'm getting a little desperate. If anyone has any advice on how I can beat the catfish skunk, I'm all ears.

·
Elroderator
477 Posts
Acton lake in southwest ohio, near miami university has an excellent population of channels..... The biggest I have caught this year is about 4lbs.... But I don't target them and caught them while trolling for saugeye and crappie fishing in the spring.

I can't, but I'd almost guarantee you'd catch some if you want to make the drive.

Good luck with both the foot and fishing!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot for the advice and kind words CamdenGizzard. Unfortunately, Acton is a little out of my range right now. But definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

·
Avid bait killer
311 Posts
Slim, I would try using both a night crawler and some cut shad on bottom at Hoover under the bridge Smothers road around dusk.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I hate to rub salt in the wound but my son and I caught two really nice channels today at Buckeye. The place isn't much of a secret, it's just inside the Leib's Island state park. Literally, right as you pull in, the spot is on the right hand side. There is a little canal that runs from the main lake there and someone was even nice enough to put a picnic table in the spot.

We caught them pretty far out in the channel this time, but have caught them in close as well.

If you get to the little building on the left that has the bathroom, you've gone too far.

It is literally right inside the park on the right hand side. You can't miss it.

·
Avid bait killer
311 Posts
Like GerardV says, that channel there is a good spot also. I have caught them there as well using a minnow under a bobber about half way out in the channel. And as always, you can't go wrong with crawlers either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
find underwater channels that are close to open water and they'll be there. if you start up the channel and work your way down, the current will be putting off some what of a chum line. my bait of choice for channels is chicken liver. worms can be pecked at alot by bluegill and sun fish but they do work. good luck.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot fellas.

GerardV, no problem. At least someone is catching fish. I fished Liebs Island yesterday from about 6:30am till about 8:30am without a single hit. If you're standing by the channel looking out into the main lake, I was on the right side of the channel, pitching into the lake. It was the second time I've been to Liebs without so much as a hit. Either I'm using the wrong tactics or the wrong bait. Next time I'll pitch into the channel. It looked so shallow, I didn't think it was worth my time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seems like the little grub tails do great out there, and we usually catch fish on the bottom with worms. This time, we got lucky with catfish bait.

Minnows are iffy at the moment, but great when the saugeye are there in the spring.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had all of my success at Griggs so far. I have been using chicken breast, and bluegill and it has been doing pretty well for me. I have tried crawlers and livers, and haven't had much success. Try using bait fish to see if that will help.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Seems like it's more of a wrong time/wrong place deal, meaning you are doing all the correct stuff, but the fish just aren't in that spot whenever you are. They do tend to be more active at night, but are actually nearly always on the prowl to some extent. I caught one that went just over 3 lbs. the other day, mid day, on a minnow with my ultralight while crappie fishing at Alum. And, I caught one 12" dude while dragging a firetiger crankbait for saugeye this afternoon. Point is, you can target them specifically, but also should be able to catch them incidentally while going after other species. Keep at it, and you'll eventually get that monkey off your back!

Limiting your fishing? Man, that's tough to swallow. Hope you heal quickly!

andesangler

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't been there in a while, but used to catch them without trying. An awful lot of people go there for catfishing. You might try the spillway. Not to suggest anything by it but there is a handicap accessable ramp there, so it must not be too hard to get to. Nightcrawlers were what they seemed to want. And who knows... you might even get a shovelhead.

·
Flathead Fanatic
325 Posts
I'll show you a spot at Griggs that i've caught many,many channels. Send me a pm and i'll tell you the particulars. Would be happy to actually meet up there to show you the spot if necessary as it's kind of hard to describe the exact spot to cast to but it's easily accessible.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My best cats have come out of Knox Lake not to far of a drive. Deer Creek alot of the Cat and Carp have died off for some reason.

I don't fish Buckeye Logan has come good cats.

Haven't caught one out of Griggs this year but I don't target them. Guy was pulling turtles in left and right today with crawlers.

Below the spillway at Deer Creek was there about last weekend guy caught a nice one on a tube past the bridge.

Thats just wear I have seen them this year good luck man.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies fellas. I'm soaking it all in...

I went to Hoover last night for 2 hours. Nothing doing. I threw out shrimp on the bottom and floated a crawler. Had not so much as a nibble save for a really small green sunfish on the crawler. I intended to use the sunfish as bait but my other rod got snagged and I had to tear off. I figured by the time I retied my rig it'd be dead so I released it. Going to go back out tonight. Haven't decided where yet. Hopefully I have better luck.

·
Banned
798 Posts
GO TO GRIGGS. You remember that spot we've been too. Toss up where all the boats come in from the boat club. Last june I caught two dink channels there. Griggs is your best bet around there.

·
stripes and smallies
777 Posts
slim, if i wanted to go cattin right now i would fish the north scioto. pm me if you want a specific spot. north on oshay should be loaded right now, i fish only with shad and livers.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Unfortunately I was unable to make it out last night. Had way too much to do. Looks like the same story for tonight. Tomorrow evening is my last chance. Everybody's given me a lot to think about. Thanks once again for everyone's input and kind words regarding my surgery. I'm making it my business tomorrow not to leave the water until I'm holding a channel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts