close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First big smallie of the year.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Mr. Basskisser, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

Finally caught a smallie big enough for the camera. An 18 incher that hit a soft craw. Mrs. BK and I each caught around 10. She got a nice 17 incher. Half on soft craws, half on flukes and buzzbaits. We each got a jumbo carp on soft craw. Not a bad Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

2. Congratulations thats a nice fish, I used to use craws alot and kinda got away from them, you never new what you were going to get on them and I kinda liked that(as long as they werent all rockbass:D ) got into sone nice channels and carp that I couldnt even begin to turn.

3. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

thats a BEAUTIFUL smallie.............CONGRATS !!! :D

4. Very nice smallie! That is what I'm looking for here in West Virginia. Haven't made it to the Greenbriar or New yet, but catching some 14-16 inch smallies in the Potomac & another little stream.

5. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. yout always on the big ones.

6. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

Thanks everyone. It seems like that fish was a long time coming. Last year really spoiled us. I prefer using artificials, but I was able to catch my own craws and thought they might change my luck. They did!

OUFisherman, its good to hear your getting some of those WV smallies. I read there is a catch and release stretch on the North Brtanch of the Potomac. Have you hit that area?

7. I haven't hit that stretch of the North Branch of the Potomac for smallies. I fished very early in the year for trout, but not smallies. It's about a 3 to 3.5 hour drive there due to living right next to the Virginia line and the Shennendoah here in the panhandle.
    I have done the vast majority of my smallie fishing here in a smaller tributary of the Potomac that is very wadable through the summer/fall. I can be there and fishing within 15-20 minutes some places. I saw one follow in a little smallie that I was reeling in last weekend, probably would go 15-16". It was a BEAUTIFUL smallie. You will have stretches a couple of feet deep with some deeper holes and fast water mixed in. The bottom is predominately some type of rock, which is great for wading. It definately beats the sand/silt/gravel that was in the Hocking River in SE Ohio.
    I hit the Upper Potomac twice in April and managed a 16" & 14.5" smallie from there fishing below a dam. All in all, not too bad of an area. Although I am looking at trying to meet up with brother in law this summer for some New River action. Good luck to you in Ohio.