Ohio Game Fishing banner

Firing up my Motor

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bustedrod 
#1 ·
May 7th It was a sunny warm day, so I decided to take the cover of f my boat. I put the gas tank with fuel in to the boat and hooked it up to the motor. I took the hood of the motor and checked the fuel filter, since it was sitting all winter. Last spring it was almost full of gunk, this year there was a much smaller amount. I did flush out the filter and replaced back so I could test firing up the motor.

I had trouble setting up a way to place the motor in a garbage can filled with water. That did not work out, so I had to use my rabbit ears. It did take several minutes to get it to fire up the first time. I kept it in neutral, and the impeller was kicking out the water just fine! I did seem to have to prime the bulb a lot, whenever the motor died and I had to start it back up again.

I spent at least 30 minutes starting the motor several times. My brother had several keys made for the motor, so I tried all of them. The first I used worked the beast, the other two I had to wiggle them to make contact with starter, but they did finally fired up the motor.

Not sure if the fuel filter is on tight now, for whenever I primped the bulb some fuel ran out of the filter! I do not know if that is normal or a problem to be concerned about. I will check that out on the next warm day I get, for today is an all day cold rain event!

I hope to try a shakedown trip with my grandson next week at a local lake. The river is still mess up, so it will be safer to test it out there.

See less See more
#3 ·
Fuel running out of the filter is a definite issue. You needed to keep pumping the bulb because the engine couldn't maintain it's prime as and keep the fuel system full. Air on the fuel system is bad, bad, bad. As mentioned above, fire anywhere you don't want it is bad but fire on a boat is really not something you want to deal with. Find out why the filter is leaking and fix it before you take that boat anywhere.

You know it.

#5 ·
Carb is dirty.. Let me explain. When you punp the bulb up it should be so hard you can't pump any more and no leaks or dripping gas. When you pump the fuel with the bulb it pushes fuel into the bowl of the carb. When the bowl is full the float in the carb goes up and presses the needle into the seat which seals the carb of from receiving more fuel until the float lowers. Carb needs to be removed and cleaned and re-installed. Also ck any fuel filter and fuel line.

#7 ·
any place you have fuel coming out lets the motor suck air causing it to lose its prime. its easier for the pump to pull air than fuel. fix any leaks before running motor again. then pump bulb until it gets hard. the air is the reason for your trouble. stop the leak and your problem should be fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.