firestone park river

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Sep 13, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

anyone catch anything out of the river in firestone park? or is it just garbage. i am a smallie, bucketmouth kind of guy and i was wondering if there were any bass in there of decent size. 10-15 in. is considered decent sized. comment back. pm if needed.

2. JoJo

JoJo Love to Fish

The only fishing that I have ever done in Firestone Metro Park in the river (creek) is with night crawlers for 10 to 12 inch catfish.
    That was 20 years ago before I had a boat and started going for the green and brown fish majority of the time.

I would expect that if there are catfish in there, there might be some small bass too.

Good luck !!
    jj

3. If you are talking about the canal that comes from the spillway then yes there are bass in there. I fished there allot as a kid and caught lots of small bass, nothing big though, but I was just a kid. Good luck.

4. castmaster00

so what constitutes as small for the river? and has anyone fished there recently?

5. The canal isn't as good as it was in the past. Back when they let a more consistent flow from firestone, the canal had a decent fishery for big bluegills, crappies, and some nice largemouths. Even caught a few gars in there at night. This was back in the 1980s. I stop along the canal every once in a while and the water is normally weedy and stagnent.

The river below firestone and extending to long is actually the tuscarawas. I have waded it a few times (a long time ago) and only caught some small bluegill and bass. The hole at the dam below firestone does look inviting, but I never pulled anything from there.

I wouldn't eat anything out of the canal or creek since the fertilizer runoff of three golf courses ends up there.

6. castmaster00

dont usually eat my catches.

7. It was a long time ago when I fished there also, at least 15 years ago. I fished the hole at the damn, walked along the wall at the start of the canal. It was very slick and and about 1 ft under the water. I would also walk the path and fish the river. The only thing of size I ever caught there were carp and turtles. I don't think I ever caught a bass larger then 10-12 inches. It was a great place to fish when I was 10-13, lots of fish and lots of types of fish.

8. castmaster00

huh. what all is in there? as in what all have any of you seen?

9. bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish, carp, rock bass, and lots of silver crap fish that I never new what they were.

10. castmaster00

creek chub maybe?

11. Shad. Lots of big ones in there. Used to net smaller shad on the canal side until the park guys said that I couldn't net then there. Saw quite a few bigger shad under the spillway on the river side.

12. castmaster00

i know that there are some HUGE shad in springfield lake. hidin in the weeds. what do they eat?

13. WhoolyBugger

WhoolyBugger grateful thread

From what I understand- shad are forage fish that don't prey on other fish. (please correct me if I'm wrong) I've seen them snacking on algae. With tiny mouths, I wouldn't pursue them with a rod and reel. Good bait though..........

14. castmaster00

i was thinking flies. and i have seen them gorging themselves on algae. they get BIG in springfield. 12-14 in. thats probably why the cats get so big.