close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fireline

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Sep 6, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

its not old and its not abraded and today it just snapped, on the CAST no less.....actually it wasnt even a snap i casted my plug and the line just left my reel, which is where it came undone. :confused: the line looked like the sharp end of a heavy sewing needle. 10/2 supposed to be gray but really its black which i never really cared for either. thats a real confidence buster, which was very high before today.

2. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Reason i do not use "superlines" I tried Fireline when it first came out..i personally think it sucks. The zero stretch in the line will cause it to snap quite easily on a hookset....i like my fast action rods too much to switch everything around to use such a line. Plus you have to turn down your drag on these lines....nah i'll stick to good old dependable co-polymier lines thanks...have'nt failed me yet

Scott

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

when winding up the fireline, I first tie it to the spool, then make about 5 cranks. Then I tape it down with electrical tape. I then spool as normal. If you don't do this, then the line will spin on the spool as fireline doesn't grip on itself very welll. Eventualy after many hundreds of casts the line will rub on itself and begin to wear quicker. And the entire spool of line will spin on the spool if you don't tape it down.

flash-----------------------------------------out

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I've never taped like that (sounds like less of a hassle than what I do!) but I always spool mono backing and splice in braid on top of it for the same reason.

I use fireline in TN and perchin on erie, and have never had any problems other than knots slipping (my own fault, wasn't tying palomars).

5. I love fireline for my catfish lines & my trolling rigs, as well as bottom bouncing walleye...for general casting I think the stuff is horrible and greatly prefer mono for that application...

6. My guess is that the line had a nick in it that compromised the strength. The thing with the thin braids is that it only takes breaking a couple of fibers in one area to really weaken it. I have not had that happen to me but I had a buddy who had it happen a couple of times on hookset and appeared to have broken down somewhere near the lure. I suspected that he had a nick in the line or he had his drag set too tight. I agree that it does take a different approach to use the braids but I personally love them. The sensitivity is something that will never be accomplished on mono or copolymers. If I am fishing close-up then it is not an issue but on distance casting and deeper water fishing it is superb.

7. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I’ve only had one problem like that with any of the super braids before. I found out it wasn’t the braid. It was my rod. One of my eyes in my rod had a small microscopic nick in it. this is what caused the braid to fail. It would cause any line to fail not just braid but this is what I found to be the problem. I could not see the nick with my eyes. So I ran a cue tip on each one of my eyes softly and when I saw the cue tip get torn on one of my eyes I knew what the problem was. It took me two spools of Braid to finally figure this out (thought I got a bad spool) so now when I have a line problem I just go straight for the cotton to see if I have a bad EYE.

Rod was new. I just bought it along with the reel I was using and the line. Its a real confidence blower until you find the cause then your ok.

:D

8. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I've used just about every "superline" out there, and fireline is my favorite. I love it for throwing crankbaits, and topwater. You have to compensate for zero-stretch with a softer rod, and less drag. The advantages are superior strength, and ultimate sensitivity. I've pulled in entire tree branches, and other debris with 6/14. I loose less baits as well, because often it will pull out of snag, pull snag with it, or even bend hook point. There are some disadvantages: It cuts easier under tension"zebra mussels", to sensitive for catfishing"fish feels you and lets go", it is horrible for icefishing. I know guys who grew up using mono, have a hard time adjusting to the feel, and sensitivity of fireline. I'm fortunate to have gotten serious into fishing when the superbraids first hit the market, and have used them in my infancy stages of serious angling.

9. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

Reel company's should consider putting a tie-hole on spool for superlines. Like many baitcasting reels have, wiffle spool!

10. It is funny how folks have different circumstances where they use braid. I am just the opposite of BorntoFish. I do not prefer braids when fishing cranks and topwater. The no-stretch is not an advantage for me when fishing these methods so I like having the spring of the mono to absorb the energy from the fish. In fact I have a larger baitcaster rig that has Power Pro on it but I often tie a flouro leader to fish cranks for the reasons I mentioned. I have had several times where I feel I have gotten a good initial hookup on a fish and they were able to toss the lure with a head shake. If I am tossing into heavy cover and need the power I stay with the braid only because I have the heavier braid to horse it out.

11. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

hardwaterfan- Are you using a bait caster? If you backlash you will kink the line and compromise its strength. I've had some nasty rats nests inside my spool that resulted in the line breaking. It will happen with any line but no stretch lines take a bigger beating. I use fireline for heavy cover and pitching but this year strayed away from it for casting. I have been using co-polymer in most of my reels and flourocarbon and fireline in specific reels for certain applications. Gamma has become my favorite co-polymer but is hard to come by. I bought some at the Classic and I believe you can get it at Cabelas. It's worth the extra dollar to me.

12. Since the break was at the reel, check the reel!

Thin/limp line will get caught in the most unlikely spots. I had an issue with thin braid getting caught between the bail roller and housing on a spinning reel. Similarly, I had to move up in diameter for my Curados because I had problems with braid getting between the spool and housing.

13. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I have said it before, I will say it again, that stuff is junk for almost every application for a common fisherman. I think the only useful place for that stuff is deep water trolling. Maybe. It has no abrasion resistance, the impact strength to me is extremely pathetic, and is is generally a pain in the ass to use.

14. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Fireline works great for me with the applications I use it for.

flash-------------------------out

15. Can you please forward me your discarded braid. I am sure I can put it to use.:D

16. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

First spool on a mono backing...then tie in your superline and fill the rest of the spool...then use either a mono or flouro leader....???? This is all a waste of time.

I fish for many species and lots of big species(fish over 20 lbs.) that pull hard and take a lot of line......superlines are for small fish that hit light...not ones that try to rip the rod from your hands, cant see spending $100's on spooling up my calcutta 700's with any of that junk.

Reelman, glad to see that others have found the great G-power line from Gamakatsu..its AWSOME.

I'll stick to G-power & McCoy mean green from the spool to the hook with no issues or hassel.....i'll let the rest of you have all the benifits of the so called "super-lines"....lol

Scott

17. Can I have you leftover line too?:D

I don't see where the "$100's are spent spooling up my reels. I can spool a couple of reels with a filler spool of braid for $12-14. This will last me several years provided I don't leave it all at the bottom of the lake. That ends up being a savings for me...along with the several hundred dollars I did not spend on Calcuttas.:rolleyes:

18. Like casting distance? LOL

You MUST come down to the dam this fall for some hybrids/stripers. You will be getting a spool of Power Pro on the way home! :D

19. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

well this thread is lively! ;)

hmmm... no reelman ive never even tried to use a baitcaster.

youve all brought up some good ideas, nothing at all is obvious though. like i said it happened on the CAST in the midst of fishing, which i thought was unusual, im glad i didnt have a fish hooked at the time. hopefully it was just a defect in the line, but ill inspect that rod and reel thoroughly, especially my spool.

i still like fireline.

20. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I've been using fireline on Erie for many, many, years with great success for almost all types of baits and presentations.

With that being said I'm not going to try and stuff Fireline down anyone's throat or demean anyone that elects to use it over other available lines.

There are many different line manufacturers and types of lines made to suit the many varied applications and personal opinions. Select the line that best suits your personal performance desires.

A self proclaimed expert would have you believe that his personal opinion and preferences are indeed facts when actually they are just one persons opinion carrying no more weight and validity than anyone else's opinion, except in his own mind.

Kim