close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fireline

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by hardwaterfan, Apr 18, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Lundy and Steelhauler suggested I try the Fireline from Berkley.

I have to say I really like it! I tied 125 yards (a whole spool, 12 bucks :( ) of "10-4 smoke" (10 lb. test line with a diameter of 4lb. test mono in a dark gray color) onto each of the 6'6" med. action rods I bought recently. So I had to spend 25 bucks to line both rods.

But they say it lasts a long time.

What I liked:

the color was very neutral and low-vis.

The line was very thin for its rated strength.

The line handled well as far as tying knots. The palomar knot that you need for this line is so much easier to tie than the old trilene knot i used to use. (I just learned how to tie the palomar knot.) I like the way this line doesnt want to curl and holds its shape if you double it up, etc.

The line was very smooth casting. Its very "slick" line. It almost acts like it has a teflon coating or something.

The line is very sensitive. I could really feel my vibee. I could tell if a treble was flipped over (a "half-strength" pulse instead of a full pulse)

What i didnt like:

the price. (ill get over it!) At 12 bucks for 125 yards the line is about 6 times as expensive as regular trilene xl. (5 bucks for 330 yards)

I should say that I only used it once, in 10-15' of water jigging for walleyes. I cant wait to try it in deeper water for some perch. I imagine it WILL be good for detecting light bites as was suggested.

2. I Have Been Using It A Few Yrs Now...i Like How You Can Feel The Really Lite Bites.......

3. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

no stretch, rock solid hooksets!

4. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Its pricey...but you can use Fireline twice! :D
    When its starts getting a little old...just strip another reel and crank on the Fireline.This puts the new stuff on top!

5. Dingo

Dingo

Agreed. Great for perch or eyes on a sensitive line. Can feel 'em breathe on the baits. Good for trolling as well.

On the downside, don't use it in rivers or rocky areas of lakes (like smallie fishing). The abrasion resistance isn't real great. You normally find out on a hookset, where the line just breaks without much pressure.

6. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

The best tip I can offer for Fireline is, use a leader. Either mono or florocarbon, takes care of the abrasion issue, and dosen`t hurt the sensitivity. :D

7. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It probably fishes great (never tried it). I DON'T LIKE snagging super lines, regardless of the brand. It does not break-down like mono, creating an environmental mess. I'm not a tree-hugger either. Just a mess.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

a lure knocker can cure most of the environmental mess.
    EH

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Harwaterfan,

I'm glad you like, at least initially anyway. I have found fireline to be fairly inexpensive in the long run. I don't know about you but I was always respooling with mono, sometimes every week when I was fishing a lot. I have some fireline on a couple of spinning rods that I use a lot that has been on there for 3 years. The initial cost does hurt a little though.

I use fireline a lot for Erie fishing, the sensitivity is awesome, the small diameter helps with many presentations from trolling to casting. I can use the same line for walleye, smallmouth, and perch without giving up any good qualities just for the sake of trying to have an all around line.

It does not fill all of my reels though. I still use a lot of mono for other types of fishing in places away from Erie.

Just as you were impressed with how well you could feel your Vib-e, I think you will be amazed at how well you can detect the light perch bites.

Let us know your impressions as the season progresses.

thanks,
    Kim