close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefox help

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by TimJC, Jan 18, 2005.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I decided to give Firefox a try but I can't get it to connect to the internet. Everytime I start firefox it says, "The connection was refused when attempting to contact start.mozilla.org."

I'm using XP and thought that it might be the firewall but disabling that did nothing. I am connected wirelessly to a router and I've never had any problems configuring progs to access the internet.

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. Click on Tools and Options and then select the Connection Settings tab. Compare what you have in here to what you have in Internet Epxlorer under the Tools / Internet Setting / Connection. Most likely your setting will be "Direct Connection" unless you are running some sort of proxy client. The install of Firefox chould have brought over the current settings but something may have prevented it from happening.

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Looks like it just required a reboot.

Now is there anyway to setup Thunderbird so that it leaves my email on the server (so that I can have it on Outlook in case I don't like Mozilla)?

4. I am not familiar with Thunderbird at all. But most mail servers have a flag that you can set to leave messages on server when downloading. Hopefully someone else can chime in who is familiar with Thunderbird.

5. Dingo

Dingo

Just installed Firefox on one of my PCs. Works great, except that I can't access the MSN.com site (stocks, top stories, hotmail, etc). Something to do with the passport functionality needed to access the personal MSN page and hotmail. Said it "redirected" too many times, so I increased the limit for redirects (using "about:config" as the URL), and it still doesn't allow access to that page.

Anyone having luck hitting this page with Firefox - or know of a similar page to MSN, content-wise?

6. There are a few quirks with firefox but its a simple fix simply by using IE when you can't access something with firefox... Netscape is another browser I use too from time to time...

7. Dingo,

I am not sure shere exactly you were heading in the MSN site but I am able to click on everywhere in there (with Firefox). I do not use Hotmail so I did not test that. But it may be something with your system configuration itself. You could try going to the Firefox home page and making sure that you are up to date. They do have occasional updates similar to what Microsoft does. If that does not do it, try searching through their support forums. Perhaps the answer is there.

8. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I don't have any problems connecting to msn.com or my.msn.com. I had problems when I first installed Firefox, but now browsing is fine, for the most part. Make sure you are logged into passport first though.

9. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Well it did work. Now that I logged off Passport and back in it won't work, arghhhhh

10. Dingo

Dingo

Go into MS internet explorer, go to "my msn" page and log in. DO NOT click the box for "log me in automatically". Exit internet explorer. Start firefox and go to msn.com, then my MSN. Redirect error is caused by firefox and internet explorer (passport) fighting with each other trying to automatically log in.

11. Good call Dingo. It sounds as if the problem is not really a flaw in the Firefox itself but rather a conflict of two browsers running simultaneously. All the more reason to move on over to Firefox I would say.:D

12. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

tim go to mozilla.com

13. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

dont forget to check out the extensions under the tools>extensions, get more extensions
    just little programs that run within firefox..... i have currently running:
    -Adblock (filters ads on pages according to keywords) real simple to setup and youll love the clean look without all the annoying blinking stuff)
    -Foxytunes (frontend to your installed mediaplayer...many players supported)
    -ImageZoom (zoom in and out on any picture by holding rightclick and roll the wheel up/down)

14. I just installed Foxfire, and so far so good. I have to get use to it though. I am only use to using I.E.. I hear you can deck this browser out with plugins, but have no clue where to go get them and how to install them (yet).

P.S. This is my first post with Foxfire.

15. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

R&R, click tools>extensions. you'll get a new window that list's all your currently installed extensions. lower right click "get more extensions" browse thru all the user made extensions for what you might want.... usually just have to click "install" and wham it should install. close and reopen firefox to activate it.
    click tools>extensions again it should be in your list now.... double click whatever extension to setup its properties.

i have currently running:
    -Adblock (filters ads on pages according to keywords) real simple to setup and youll love the clean look without all the annoying blinking stuff)
    -Foxytunes (frontend to your installed mediaplayer...many players supported)
    -ImageZoom (zoom in and out on any picture by holding rightclick and roll the wheel up/down)

pretty much the same thing goes for themes..... tools>themes

enjoy

16. I knew most of what you said, but thanks for helping. One thing you did point out though that I didn't catch until your post is "get more extensions". I will have to look through it and get some more. I have a nice theme I picked out last night. I have like four or five now. I like this browser alot more than I.E. so far. I like how easy they made it to customize with all the themes and extensions. I also have Adblock along with Noscript, Forecastfox, and Flashgot right now.

17. I got Foxytunes and it is pretty slick. I like it, but still have to learn how to fully use it. I like this browser for sure. I have been reading about the security issue with I.E. and how Foxfire blows it away in that area, but I never knew you could do all this other stuff until I installed it.