close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fired up the airbrush...

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by vc1111, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Clean foil work. Foiling is time consuming but it always looks so good!

2. silver shad

silver shad The Walleye Troll

3. Thank you Vince and Silver Shad. It was a fun bait to build. I have developed a love/hate relationship with foil. It's tedious but rewarding. Transparent paints over foil look awesome IMO. Here are a couple more pics I took outside today.
    foiled perch7.jpg foiled perch6.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    MadMac likes this.
  4. Bait making has led me into some unusual project requests. Recently I've been asked to carve a Rice Krispie fish base for a cake topper, and paint a walking stick in a snake pattern. A few toothpicks and a bit more shaping and the fish looked pretty good. It was 14 inches long. :D
    rice krispie fish.jpg
    The snake is still a work in progress. It's a stick cane that a man used for a long time. It had to be stripped from years of staining. This was a first attempt at a copperhead pattern, but I'm not thrilled with it. I was given full creative license on the snake, and may go more dramatic such as a banded King snake? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    cane.jpg cane2.jpg cane3.jpg cane5.jpg

5. I got a kick out of reading this! I bet the Rice Krispie fish was a big hit. My grand-daughter would love that!
    The snake is beautiful. I think I might try to hit the back of it with a copper tone, or even some type of transparent color to differentiate the back from the belly. The detail in that really pops though. You could easily leave it as is.

All Eyes likes this.
  6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

A new Vince post! I took a stroll down memory lane and read the first 30 pages of this thread. I love reading about your bait building and the details that go into the process. I also miss hearing about you and Larry adventures on Westbranch, Leesville and elsewhere.

I hope you're both well and having a great season.

HappySnag likes this.
  7. Thanks! I've been doing very little fishing so far this year, but I hope to have more to write about soon. My boat needs some work and it will be a while before I can get it scheduled for repairs.

I'm at a bit of a stand still with the building but I still have about 15 baits underway.

8. Thank you Vince! I ended up repainting another copperhead pattern on the cane, which turned out better than the 1st attempt. This one is darker on the back with less spacing between the rings. The eyes are gold foil. It was a fun project.
    cane6.jpg cane7.jpg cane8.jpg