Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1956 Evinrude Lark 30 h.p.. When i bought it i found a huge mouse nest in the powerhead and and it was also down into the exhaust housing too. so stripped the powerhead of everything and then removed the whole powerhead to make sure i got the nest remnants out.i put the powerhead back on.
then i started the rebuild of all the usual stuff electronics,carb cleaned and rebuilt,new water pump and plate also a complete lower seal kit. then i tried to run it but it ran but only at high and mid range speeds. so pulled the carb thinking it still maybe dirty so the i cleaned it a second time. well i tried to run it AGAIN and no luck still the same issue.
i talked to some guys and they said to check crankshaft seals. so i stripped the powerhead of what i could to make it easier to remove AGAIN. and saw some oil around the top seal so replaced it and the bottom one too. and then i put the powerhead back on AGAIN and put everything back and ran it again and still ran the same.
i looked around to my club members and guys said check the reed valves. so i pulled the carb AGAIN and the intake and reed valve plate and everything looked ok so made new gaskets for everything and put it back together AGAIN.
so i invited some of my Antique Outboard Club members over yesterday and we ran it and still ran the same. the motor was throwing water out of my test tank at high and it ran good at mid speed too and no matter how you adjusted the low speed needle valve it just would not run. so we all agreed to look at the carb AGAIN. while it was apart i put in a newer float and changed the low speed needle valve too and we pulled the welch plug for the low speed orfice and it was clean too. so i put the carb together AGAIN. while the carb was off a member of my club saw a screw was missing on the intake so he replaced it. put the carb on and it ran finally we ran it for a few minutes and adjusted the needle valve and she purrs like a kitten.i am not sure if it was the missing screw or a better float or a pointier needle valve. but after 50 plus hours and lots of cussing at her she is done. thanks to my club members for coming over and getting me over the hump. i bought the motor 2-4-2012 and year and a half later its done.and it is gonna be for sale soon !

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well you did a great job, it looks great. I've got a old 50's Johnson Sea 10hp. I got it from my brother who found it at a yard sale for $50. It didn't run but we slapped some new coil packs on it and it fire on the first pull. I haven't run it in a while maybe a year or more. I'm kinda worried it will clog up if I don't run it. What would be the be the best treatment to get the old gas through the carb? It probably won't get used much.
Anyway you can't beat the old ones. Nice job.
promag

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try to start it normally and if it runs just run it and then disconnect the fuel line and run it out of gas.

·
Captain of the Ship
709 Posts
Great looking motor Steve!!! Glad to hear you didn't give up on her.

I've got about 10 motors between 1955-60 and have seen a lot more but I don't ever remember seeing that color scheme.

Question for you: Do you know how many years Johnson put the round emblem with the HP number in it on their motors? I know they did in 1956 and I just saw a pic of a guy that said his was a 57 and his had the emblem.

None of my 58's have it.

For some reason I really like that emblem and those are my favorites.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1956 johnson had the only emblems with horsepower ! other johnsons had decals with horsepower

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
any interest in a blue 15hp Evinrude? ....I had it running a couple years back and used it for a day ..... but haven't messed with it since.... the primer bulb on top of the tank

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my club members took apart the 7.5 merc and and checked the coils,points and condensers and it all looked god they cleaned the points and reset them too. we added some gas put it in the tank and 3rd pull it was running but it needs a water pump.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I thought so. The guy must have had his confused with a 56.

Thanks Steve.
The old 56 javelin out in our garage has it.

We sold that motor to a guy from Washington over 5 years ago, he sent us the money and we have been waiting on him to send us a crate for 5 years, he never gave us a phone number and hasn't answered any of our 50+ emails in at least 4 years... I think he may have died? He was in his 70's.

·
Captain of the Ship
709 Posts
The old 56 javelin out in our garage has it.

We sold that motor to a guy from Washington over 5 years ago, he sent us the money and we have been waiting on him to send us a crate for 5 years, he never gave us a phone number and hasn't answered any of our 50+ emails in at least 4 years... I think he may have died? He was in his 70's.

I was gonna say when you're ready to sell it again, let me know.....but after thinking about it, maybe the motors cursed?? :D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts