fingerprints and epoxy

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by Cutt'em Jack, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Cutt'em Jack

Cutt'em Jack Musky Madman

I need some help! Yesterday, my two year old was downstairs with me and ended up touching a bait that I finished painting earlier in the week. I worried that his fingerprints will keep the epoxy from coating the bait. I'm also worried that if I try to clean the bait with rubbing alcohol it will smear or scrub off the paint. Is there anything I can do to clean the bait without fear of ruining the paint job? I use createx paint. Thanks!

2. Mark, did you heat set it or put any type of clear over it??

3. It'll be ok, I've touched mine after painting a few times and haven't had a problem.

4. Cutt'em Jack

Cutt'em Jack Musky Madman

I heat set the paint, but it doesn't have any clear over the paint. I have some spray on clear, maybe if I hit it with that then epoxy it'll be okay. I just don't like it too much because it stinks to HIGH HEAVENS!!!!! Last time I used it, the whole house smelled.

5. I agree if you seal coat it (doesn't matter what you use) it should be fine. I normally heat set my paints and allow them to air dry at room temp. If the lure is dry after it was touched I would use a soft brush and lightly brush off the area that was touched before coating. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

6. I just finished wiping down with alcohol that had gotten goobered up with finger prints (don't ask) several plugs without any clearcoat with no apparent ill effects...

7. Just came up from the basement. Put on a layer of epoxy on the plugs. No problems with the application.