close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fine Tuning Lures...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Reel Lady, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I have a few questions for you.....

1) Many of the jigs that I see are manufactured with
    the weed guard left long so that the angler can
    trim it how ever they would like.
    a)How do you determine the correct height/angle
    of the weedguard?
    b)Would you trim it differently for different types
    of fishing conditions?
    2) About Buzzbaits...Tied on a brand new Terminator
    Buzzbait last night (they claim that they
    are "perfect" right out of the package). This
    buzzbait wanted to stray to it's right (my left while
    looking at it). Same thing happened to Rob last
    night with his brand new Buzzbait.
    a) Are Buzzbaits tune-able? ( I know how to fine
    tune my crankbaits)
    b) If so... How?
    3) Whats your favorite Rod/Reel/Line set up for
    Buzzbaits?
    4) Frogs....I bought a "Snag proof pro-series
    tournament frog" yesterday. I took it to my
    local pond last night. The good news is that
    the bass seemed to LOVE this thing! This pond
    is just covered with duckweed and lilly pads.
    The bad news is that I just couldn't set the
    darn hook to land these fish!
    a) Should I be using a braided line with a
    limber tip?
    b) A flouro or mono line with a stiffer rod?
    c) Suggestions for hookset?

Thats all for now...thanks all :) :B
    Marcia

2. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Another GREAT lure to try for Bass over duckweed or any other weed type is a Barney Spoon. Sometimes they are hard to find but try some if you can locate them. They ride right over the weeds as you retreive and the Bass will blow up through to get them. The larger ones are good for Muskies too.
    As for the buzz baits, you might try putting a slight bend in the wire ahead of the spinner and see what happens. Bend it opposite of the direction it runs at this time.

3. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

When I throw a buzzbait I use the same type I use throwing spinnerbait. I use 7ft MH Falcon lowrider 15lb test. Check and make sure that blades aren't bent I've taking them out of the pack and they would bent just a little I just take them off a put a new balde on. I always carry spare blades with me I had fish tear em to pieces you go to watch banging them rocks and stuff that will make them run funny.

For a frog rod I like a rod with a lot of backbone. That helps with the hook set and help get that fish out. I use 15-25 lb test depends on what type cover I'm fishing. When I set the hook I hit em as a hard as I can just like when I'm flippin. I've broke a couple rods doing that but it happens thats why take some extras in the boat. When use a frog fish are still gonna come off it just happens.
    Good Luck

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

for the frogs ,you have to wait a few seconds to set the hook, others trim the legs shorter on the frogs too. i reccomend the barney spoons too. they are made out in portage county or at least they used to be. saw them at the rodmakers shop just this morning.

5. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Most bass jigs come with the weed guard too thick. I take about half of the strands out which makes for an easier hookset and less fish throwing the jig. I usually leave the weed guard long. I have trimmed it and i tend to snag a lot more. Some guards are too long also so i like it about a 1/4 inch past the hook. See what works for you, you will get a ton of different answers to this. Some guys set the hook so hard they need not trim or thin the guard. When im fishing riprap or ledges i thin the weeds guard alot, when fishing heavy cover (bushes and logs) i keep the weed guard thicker. When you get a new jig push on the weed guard, some jigs take a lot of pressure to move it past the hook. Thats the main reason i thin mine out. Make sure your jig has a good hook and is the right size for the jig. I like 3/0 and 4/0 hooks on most of my jigs.

Keep those buzzbaits that run to the side for dock fishing, they will run right up against or under a dock, that will drive em crazy. You can also put more or less cup in the buzzbait blade to make it work slower or faster. I like a medium action rod with a flexable tip for the buzzer.

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i second the advice from marshal. buzzbaits that drift are perfetc for any cover....justrun them right into it.

8. I've always found that a braided line is best for fishing frogs and rats in the slop. Actually, I now use braided for most all applications (powerpro). However, I often have about 7' of florocarbon tied on with back-to-back uni knots as a leader. That's enough to keep me from having to retie a new leader through a day of fishing.
    Also, with the stiffer rods this allows just enough stretch to handle the impact of a hook set and it provides the stealth I want.

9. BornToFish

BornToFish Smallmouth Rule

I agree abouth the buzzbait comments. You might try putting on a trailer/grub to balance it out some. Also try bending tie point opposite of tracking direction. Make sure your knot is at center of tiepoint. I learned years ago that the best way to tie spinnerbaits/buzzbaits is to start at oneside of bend, and tie about 10 one loop knots all around the bend. Sometimes the line likes to slip, especially superlines. Concerning frogs: Just like any topwater bait; your hookup rate is going to be lower than other presentations. Use a long rod 7-8ft,lots of backbone, and a semi-limber tip. Fish it just like a jitterbug. It might help to look away on occassion during retrieve, that way your reflexes won't kick in quite as fast. Also use toughline, such as berkley biggame,xt, or fireline.

10. bmffishing247

bmffishing247 Fishing Is Life!

Reellady not sure if your going to use many crankbaits on tour but i have experimented for about 3 years doing this. i bought one of those cordless dremels from odd lots and have grinded the plastic lips on the crank baits. it seems to be working well since it kinda makes the crank look alittle bit more wonded. i have a BPS crank where i have only shaved down one side of the lip. It runs more sideways or layed down on its side. i think it looks more like it is dieing and triggers the bass that are kinda sluggish and are willing to eat only if it can not exert alot of energy. from what i can see fishing this rig in maily hoover griggs and cj brown works well. hope all goes well for ya.

BMF :G

11. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

This isn't meant to be a slam in any way but you are fishing the "tour" and don't know how to tune a buzzbait or trim and jig? You better start doing your homework. I wish you all the luck!

12. What you should do is practice tuning various style lures. Take a dozen different lures and have Reel Man bend some up in various ways without you knowing which ones he did and what he did. Now, his job is to remember :rolleyes:what he did and your job is to look :confused:at how they run and get them back tracking correctly. :p Like Orlando said, the tour is not the place to learn the mechanics but it is the place to learn fishing techniques from others.:) Hawg Bass like you will be fishing for have the ability to "mash" a lure reel gud.(Southern talk)

13. Reel Lady

Orlando...I know how to tune my crankbaits. I do it all the time. But for whatever reason, it seemed that I just couldn't get my buzzbait to run straight, no matter how much or how little I bent it.
    As for fishing with a jig.. Well, we all have our fishing strengths and we all have our fishing weaknesses. Fishing with a jig is my weakness, but that is only because this is a technique that I've just never really employed. I am perfectly capable of learning anything that I am shown or told. I actually know many people that do absolutely nothing to their jigs and use them "as is" right out of the package. I also know others that trim the weed-guard to the desired length. As fishermen, we all have our little tips and tricks and reasons why we do the things that we do. That is why I LOVE this site. I would never let my pride get in the way of seeking advice or getting assistance which would make me a better, more efficient angler.
    I'm no dummy when it comes to fishing, but I also realize that there are many many others that know so much more than me. I am not claiming to know everything about everything about fishing just because I am lucky enough to be fishing in the Women's Bassmaster Tour. I'm fishing this tour because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, that after this year, I may not ever have again. I am entering this tournament as a woman who is absolutely passionate about fishing. I will never think for one minute that I am any better than anyone else here just because I am fishing this tournament. It's not like I had to audition, or prove myself prior to the events. I simply have been presented with this opportunity, and believe that it would be totally foolish of me to let it pass me by. But seriously, I believe that my fishing "Strengths" are much greater than my "Weaknesses". I am very much aware of my areas that I need to work on, and am working diligently to improve them. If you feel that I shouldn't be fishing this tournament because I was looking for advice on tuning a buzzbait, or trimming the weed guard on a jig, then I suppose that we all do have our right to our own opinion. I know that I can (and do) catch plenty of fish. I know that I am out on my boat, or on the shore 6-7 times a week, putting all of my fishing knowledge to good use. I know that I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge that will contribute to both my personal and professional growth. I know that you don't know me personally, but anyone that does will tell you that I am one fiercely determined young lady (well, okay, make that middle aged.. lol), who views life's "obstacles" as "a good challenges", rather than a "dead end with no other options". I'm also known to make some darn good lemonade when life decides to serve me a bowl of lemons. :)
    So do I wish that I have mastered every method of catching fish imaginable? You better believe it! Is that ever a possibility? Nope, because techniques and types of lures are forever evolving.
    All I can tell you is that I will be out there at Sam Rayburn in October, and all of the other WBT tournaments doing my best. I will never give up, and will continually be looking for ways to improve my technique.

14. BornToFish

Yeah, and she will say "hi" to Melinda Mize for me too!

15. Reel Lady

LOL... OK... BornToFish... I promise you that I will tell her that you said "Hi" :D
    Too bad I didn't know you had a thing for her when I was at the Bassmaster Classic, because I've already met and talked with both her and her mother :)
    By the way, they both seem like awesome people, as well as every other woman that I have met who is fishing this tour :) I like to think of this as an adventure that we (the women who are competing)are all in together, rather than thinking of it as one big competition.

16. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I wish you all the luck in the world. It just struck me kninda funny, you asking these basic fundemental questions is like a golfer who is getting ready to go on the tour asking which putter to use. Personally I believe that the place for learning is on the local level, thats what club tournys are for. After you have honed your skills then you move on. Just hate to see you get discouraged because you aren't ready. Anyway hope you all the best, Good luck.

17. BornToFish

Thanks ReelLady! Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, been busy stocking new "Dick's" store. I have a new appreciation for there employees now.lol

18. Orlando,
    In reality the local areas are tougher to fish do to the fact that everyone in the tourney fishes there regulary. I have an uncle who fishes FLW southern division, because he is retired and hates snow. He travels from Illinios to Texas and Louisina every winter. When he is out of his yearly budgeted money he heads home. It is how he fishes. Marica will find out the key to the tour is utilizing her strenghts and improving her weaknesses.

As for the defination of pro vs amatuer, a pro gets paid and an amatuer does not. That simple.

Marica, check out the last three issues of Bass Master for tips and ideas. Some work other do not. As far as learning how a slow moving bait works and reacts, get a kiddie pool and "fish" in it. You can see the baits move and it is amazing the action of a non-action bait. Also check your PM from me for a couple of other interesting ideas. Know that you are supported by members of OGF and that some people will be critical of you do to jealousy (like me! i wish i had the drive to compete again...)

19. Riverman

Riverman Banned

The worst thing about any weedless type bait is that you need to let the fish swallow your bait to insure you will get a hook up. Weedless topwater frogs are notorious for missing fish. If you’re using any weedless bait flip the bail when you get a hit and let it run stop, hit it on the second run. It's not a good feeling though when you gut hook a fish you want to release.

My favorite weedless is just a purple worm on a wire weed guard hook. I bend the wire so when it springs, it spring to the side a little. This makes a hookup much more likely and you don't need to wait until the fish finishes digesting it to set the hook.