Ohio Game Fishing banner

Findley State Park

8K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  TRIPLE-J 
#1 ·
Heading to Findley State Park by Wellington tomorrow for the long weekend. Taking my kayak to do some Bass fishing. Any water condition reports? Haven't been there in over a decade, what are the techniques I should be considering for Bass this time of the year there?

#6 ·
I'm out here now and jmeyer is right, it's pretty muddy. Don't know what the upper end of lake looks like but the lower end by the campground is pretty stained. Nice average size of channel cats out here though. I had my 4 year old nephew play tug of war with a nice catfish and wasn't sure who was going to win for a second. Nephew came out on top and sure was proud of himself. Great times.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have many good memories of memorial day family picnics on that lake at the picnic point. Growing up in Lorain Cty, we used to arrive at 7am and my Mom and Dad set up to make a grilled breakfast for whoever showed up in our family. That used to be the first time each year i was fishing and remember walking all those banks trying to catch bass or bluegill. I do remember even that early in season having to cast to open areas between the weeds. Good times for sure.
Rickerd

#16 ·
I do hardwood ! Lots of great memories from that lake , icefishing for the gills to the great crappie fishing in the spring and the occasional pike and big bass , I've only fished it a couple times in the last few years so I can't say to much about the current state of it ! Good luck EJ

#18 ·
the lake going down hill had nothing to do with the white amur they put in there to help control the weeds... the lake started to fill in with silt and they didn't do anything about it...the beach there used to be awesome... nice sand all the way across now you go there and its a foot of muck... and that's on the far end of the lake away from the creek or river feeding it... you could walk the beach and see schools of shiners in the water...fished that lake for over 50 years and it was a great lake in the 60's and 70's...
used to get so many people there that cars would literally be lined on the side of the road just about to the entrance on rt58...many good memories out there

#22 ·
I remember Findlay in the '60s and '70s. We would get there as early as possible so that we could land a spot on the point. The water quality was excellent back then as was the fishing. I have many fond memories of the beach, renting a boat to explore the lake, or sight fishing for bluegills from shore at picnic point. It's sad to see such wonderful park go into decline.

#26 ·
I think the problem with Findley is excess nutrients. It probably gets too much runoff from the surrounding corn and soybean fields. This inturn created a large muck layer on the bottom of the lake hence why they are dredging. The geese dont help that problem either. Lots of man made lakes in ohio have these nutrient problems. The dredging should help a bit but if excess nutrients keep getting its only a band aide.

#28 ·
Fished it a lot growing up with my dad,it used to be a great bass lake. The lake has been stirred up ever since the vegetation disappeared. The people in charge of this place sure ruined it. From the campground to the lake, this is one of the worst excuses for a state park that I've seen. To those in charge, thanks for ruining this place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.