close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Findlay State Park

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by big black jeep, Aug 26, 2004.

1. My family is going to go to Findlay State Park laborday weekend. I was wondering if any one could tell me some good fishing spots (and tips) close to the state park. Oh I almost forgot I will be fishing from shore.
    thanks
    phillip

2. Never heard of Findlay State Park. Van Buren would be closest to Findlay.

3. Findley I travel to from Sandusky in search of Crappies throughout the year.
    I have found that early and I mean early mornings just as the light starts to be noticed seems to bring on hits.
    I travel to the picnic area which seems like an island with shelter houses and I just wade out about 20 feet till it's close to my waist and cast out a 1/32 oz. jig head with a blue and white flake jig about 2" in length.
    I count a two or three count keeping my rod tip high and make it a slow retrieve.
    The Crappies seem to come close to shore in the middle of the night and the action at sun rise is of a limited time, but you can fair out with 6 or 7 nice meal sized crappies at that time.
    I will then go to the north end near the earthen dam and fish the cover of trees laying in the water with a float and jig at about 2 ' depth and do okey with that.

Findley is one of my favorite places for camping and shoreline fishing, but remember to keep to the small size of offerings between 1" and 2" for good results.

Let me know how you do.

JimG

4. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

#5Dog hey man have you had any luck at Van Buren ? the lake is CRAP, but i like the look of the creek at the east end.... let me know how you've done up there?

5. Haven't wasted my time in that mudpuddle for years. I agree the creek looks interesting, but I have my doubts you'll find much there.

6. jay01

jay01 Banned

I fish findley for cats on boat or from shore. best place I found is at the tip of picnic point,casting on the north side as far as you can cast.we like to use a half of crawler.for the bigger ones less strickes though a 4 to 6in creek chub. Jim G hit it right on the money for crappies.

7. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

He could've gotten into more detail, but not much. Pay attention to JimG, I can verfiy what he is sayin'. Black Jeep, when are you hittin' the water? Let me know your site number and I'll stop by sometime. I just got done at Findley as a summer camper host. I was on 242 from Memeorial day up until this last Sunday. I'll be out to fish this weekend, though.

8. Put To Pasture

Put To Pasture Put To Pasture

Went fishing on Finley last evening from a boat. I marked a lot of fish but only a half dozen of fair size gills made into to the boat. What success I had was using wax worms on a pinmon.

9. I fish vb state park once or twice a week. I usually catch 3-4 large mouth off the bank in a short period of time. I fish the shore behind the camping area. Purple asassins do the trick. Average size 12-15. Have caught 1 25 inch pike also. Don't know how he stayed on since I wasn't using a steel leader but it did. Did get into a big bass but he tangled me into some logs and lost it.

10. Seems to me that some of the postings in this thread talk about Van Buren State Park which is 6 miles or so north of the city of Findlay and some are talking about Findley State Park which is a couple of miles south of Wellington.
    I caught my first fish ever at Van Buren almost 60 years ago. Looking back, I swear he was 24" long, but I don't think crappies get quite that big do they? :) Used to catch a lot of fish in the hole at the bottom of the dam when we were kids. Don't go there anymore as there are many more productive spots in the area.

Always remember to "leave a little breedin' stock"