close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

findlay res. #1

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bassmaniac, Sep 4, 2008.

1. bassmaniac

bassmaniac Fish now, sleep later

Can any one tell me what all species of fish are in res.1 in Findlay? I think I heard something about maybe some smallies in there? I know about the walleye and perch, I'm looking for new water to fish close by for bass.

2. there are some big smallmouth and largemouth in #1. ;)

3. bassmaniac

4. Here is info found from this site:

http://www.hancockparks.com/reservoir.html

fish populations of walleye, yellow perch, white bass, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bluegill, crappie, channel catfish and bullheads

5. As far as I know both reservoirs have the same fish in them especially since Ive talked to people who have cought them out of one then released into the other, especially smallmouths. Fishing them both are hard compared to other places and the fish seem to be very picky , I think they are unbelievably sensitive to weather and season changes. You may go one day and do good and then go the very next day and swear there is absolutely no fish there at all. Ive never seen a place where the fishing was so different from day to day as these reservoirs , and it dosent help that they get so fished out when everything is right and they are biting good. I think they are overfished but thats just my opinion.

6. Anyone catch perch in there? If so, what do you recommend? I'm heading down there sometime in the next week and was going to throw live minnows on my perch rig and see what happens. But if there is something better I should try, please let me know!!

7. On Labor Day I casted out a 2 hook and half oz. sinker with nightcrawler as far as she would go and in about 2 min had a 11 inch perch! Then nothing for 2 hours. It is comeing up on some decent perch action at #1. The water temp and degree of sunlight makes a huge difference there. The algee is starting to let loose from the rocks and for some reason that is when the fall bite starts. Also that day as I was leaving a guy landed a smallmouth that had to be close to 4lbs.

8. bassmaniac

Is the boat ramp and launch area in decent shape? Last time I was up there a couple years ago, it looked like a mess.

9. New ramps put in both res this spring. State helped the city, so they are nice. Although the ramp at #2 is still steep it has some new concrete that helps with traction.

10. Ive caught a few tiny perch in #1 using earthworms. My tries with minnows fished with a perch rig and a big sinker at the bottom usually end up with the minnow being ripped off or killed quickly when I cast out as far as I can and it all hits the water. Hooking the minnows in the lips up through the nostril hole they still dont take impact with the water too well. Anybody have a better way to fish the minnows ?

From my experience with it and talking to a few other anglers , catching decent sized perch out there is kinda rare these days and usually you just get lucky and stumble up on one but catching more than one with good size dosent seem to happen very often. Theres plenty of forage out there for them to eat so they should do pretty well in there....maybe theres just too much natural food for them to take bait speared with a hook ?

11. I went out to #1 today around noon and tried for some perch but didnt even get a bite. I fished on the floating dock for a while then walked around to the far right corner and tried there for about an hour. I had my 2 year old with me and he made me regret my decision to walk any distance. Is there a "best" time of day to go out there for perch ?

12. Yonderfishin, no there does'nt seem to be a certain time, you just have to stumble onto them. I've caught them at noon and late in the day. I have never tried early, maybe thats the problem (lol). A few years ago we were catching decent numbers on #2 on the north side about 50 yards to the left of the steps. An older guy was kicking our butts only 20 or so yards from the steps. I asked him his secrete, he said wigglers for bait. He was useing a #6 hook and a half oz. sinker, casting as far as a guy his age could, and the most important thing was not to tighten the line. Perch will swim with it for a bit befor they swallow. When the line has a bow in it and it starts to move, wait a second or two befor setting the hook. I am about ready to try these tactics, if I can find wigglers, maybe the Van Buren lady has them. I do think the water has to cool for a week or two.

13. Leaving slack in the line may be the big secret to catching them but I think I would be afraid to try it. The few little perch I have caught out of there had such a light bite that I wasnt even sure if it was a bite or not , one of them was just on the hook when I reeled it in to check the bait , like they grabbed it and just sat there for a while. I may see if I can get some minnows and go out there again today.

14. No luck again, this time I tried the conservation pool in #2 before trying the far corner on #1 again. Used worms and berkley power bait maggots , but not even a nibble. I figured the conservation pool would work since its so deep perch would almost have to be laying around down there. Maybe another day.

15. I believe the perch start biting at this time of year in the Number 1 Findlay Res. The NE corner is where the bite has been in the past 5 or more years, tight line with minnows or wax worms was preferred some from shore and some by boat.
    I believe wigglers can only be had in the winter as they are just too small now as we all know they are mayfly larvel.

16. cherrell136

cherrell136 she fishes too

Yonder, I was fishing on a headboat at Tibbles one year and the captain told me to run the hook straight down through the minnow just behind the head, turn the hook so it is facing the tail end of the minnow and then bring it up through the belly just enough so the barb is in it. This keeps the minnow upright at all times and they do not come off easily.

Works for me

17. yep, I think I may try that but I think it will probably kill the minnow and they wont wiggle too much

18. bassmaniac

When I did a lot of shore fishing, I used the Bear Paw line leader connectors and they work great. None of that heavy wire that are on the perch spreaders plus I don't like casting crappie rigs. With the hook connected directly to the mainline above a sinker, I was able to detect even light bites. You could even expeiment with a dropshot rig. One thing though, when you cast way out, you can actually overcast the fish. When I'm out in my boat running my graph, very few fish are out much past 20' or so of the shoreline. There are stragglers out there, but the schools of fish are closer to the riprap. Of couse the exception is going on right now, at res.5 in Fostoria anyways, schools of crappie and white bass are chasing schools of baitfish all over the lake, but even then if you check them out, the majority of the baitfish are right up against the bank. I trolled twister tails last saturday with my son on 5 and only went about 10 or 15 feet from the bank. I know lakes are different, thats why I need to get over there to check out that lake.

19. your right bassman, useing a slip bobber and find the depth where the rocks stop and the flat bottom begains sure helps, although the catfish hang there alot. The biggest thing with me , if there is no action in 45min to an hour I move and SOMETIMES find active fish.

20. Very good information guys , sounds like I need to try these things and possibly not cast out as far. But perch would be in the coolest , deepest water since the water is so warm right ? Ive just been using a sinker at the bottom with 2 snelled hooks tied up about 4 and 8 inches or so above the weight wich makes a cheap version of a perch spreader.