Ohio Game Fishing banner

Findlay jumbo perch

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JimmyZ 
#1 ·
Well.......the words sound right together.......should be about time, anyone been after them in the last couple of weeks, HT

#2 ·
There were some caught a month or two ago , but not any great number. Its been hit or miss ever since then for perch but they are usually on the small side. I think the perch are struggling to come back , they were hit hard with pressure that a body of water that size cant support for long. So many people taking their daily legal limit set them back so far it will take a while for them to come back. So sad to see everybody thinking that 30 fish per person per day is legal , so it must be ok. As I have said before , just because its legal dont mean its a good idea , .........and now we pay the price for it , the perch fishing now sucks.

#3 ·
. So sad to see everybody thinking that 30 fish per person per day is legal , so it must be ok. QUOTE]

I get what you're saying. But you can't leave it up to the sportsman to keep them at catchable numbers. There's too many instant meat hunters nowadays that are just cruising the internet looking for the hot bite. Part of it is the DNR not stocking as many fish as they used to, part of it is websites like this. I remember 10-12 years ago Findlay was awesome for Perch and Walleye, that's half the reason we sold our Lake Erie rig. Between #2 and Indian Lake, it just didn't make sense to waste all the time and money to go that far when we were 20-40 minutes from great fishing. The all of a sudden everybody gets the internet and a fishing report is instant. Back then it might be a couple weeks before word got out, and then people didn't know whether to believe it. Now they read something and they are hitching the boat up and heading there within minutes. I'm not bitching about it, cuz I like to give an honest report alot of times, but I may wait a week or two

#4 ·
. So sad to see everybody thinking that 30 fish per person per day is legal , so it must be ok. QUOTE]

I get what you're saying. But you can't leave it up to the sportsman to keep them at catchable numbers. There's too many instant meat hunters nowadays that are just cruising the internet looking for the hot bite. Part of it is the DNR not stocking as many fish as they used to, part of it is websites like this. I remember 10-12 years ago Findlay was awesome for Perch and Walleye, that's half the reason we sold our Lake Erie rig. Between #2 and Indian Lake, it just didn't make sense to waste all the time and money to go that far when we were 20-40 minutes from great fishing. The all of a sudden everybody gets the internet and a fishing report is instant. Back then it might be a couple weeks before word got out, and then people didn't know whether to believe it. Now they read something and they are hitching the boat up and heading there within minutes. I'm not bitching about it, cuz I like to give an honest report alot of times, but I may wait a week or two

Yeah thats true, instant information has been the downfall of probably every fishing destination in the country. Combine that with everybody keeping 30 fish a day and returning again and again just because its legal and what you end up with is a bunch of water with almost no fish in it. Kinda like a whole flock of seagulls decending on one potato chip.

#7 ·
These regulations apply to all public waters in Ohio, EXCEPT that site-specific regulations apply to water areas included in the Specific Water Areas, Lake Erie and its Tributaries, Ohio River, and Pymatuning Lake regulation sections.
Species Daily Limit Minimum Size

Yellow Perch 40 None

#8 ·
These regulations apply to all public waters in Ohio, EXCEPT that site-specific regulations apply to water areas included in the Specific Water Areas, Lake Erie and its Tributaries, Ohio River, and Pymatuning Lake regulation sections.
Species Daily Limit Minimum Size

Yellow Perch 40 None
Hey Jim , good to hear from you. Thanks for the clarification.

#9 ·

Good post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.